Is it worth getting a Furnace or settel with a Stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
My soon to be wife and I are purchasing the house that we are currently renting. It is a 1300 sq ft house in the middle of a 50,000 population city. I know the city wont have a problem with us burning wood but smoke is a factor. We only heat the bottom half of the two story house because nobody lives upstairs and we can't afford to heat the whole house above 60*. Granted we probably could but we are at the lowest degree that we feel "comfortable". I should clarify, she is comfortable and I am freezing but comfortable not complaining.

Our house doesn't really have a good place to put a stove accept in the basement. I have experience in the add on furnace world because my parents have one. I would like to get a furnace but she wants a stove. I'm happy being able to burn wood in our house but was wondering if a stove in the basement would be able to effectively heat the first floor. Are their any stoves that have the capability of integrating to the existing duct work of the forced air propane furnace.

I have two friends that have wood stoves in there house. One loves it and the other doesn't. I prefer something I could load 20" pieces into. Hot water side arm unit would be nice but not a requirement. Cost is a factor but not when it comes to quality of a unit.

Any advice?

60 degrees is way too cold for me. How do you do it without getting hypothermia? I'd go furnace, but that's me. I like heating the whole house with even temps. Tundra, heatmax, caddy, max caddy, kuuma vapor fire and probably others that I've forgot can all integrate into existing duct work and easily heat 1300 sqft with little smoke.

This? PSG mini caddy...
8178mini-caddy-1000-350x350.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=16&Id=374&ei=FWu8VIbNK6X7sASWnoHgDw&usg=AFQjCNGYygA24HUC7PhBZGzHBtAmBVuHqA

A wood stove on the bottom will work great. Heat rises. My house is that way. Little vent work to get some flow.

Wood heat is so nice

Wood stoves don't always work great for heating a house, especially if they are in the basement - between getting the heat to go where you want it, and stopping it from going where you don't want it.

Different strokes for different folks, of course - but to heat a two storey house I think I would pick central heating (furnace) over a space heater (stove) every time.

And, if our house was only 60° all winter, it wouldn't be our house any more - I am pretty sure I would be here by myself in short order. But I also wouldn't be able to live with myself at only 60° - which would lead to a bit of an imponderable situation.

(BTW 1300 sq.ft. over two storeys seems kind of smallish. Is that the total space, or each storey?)

Are their any stoves that have the capability of integrating to the existing duct work of the forced air propane furnace.
I prefer something I could load 20" pieces into.
If it has "the capability of integrating to the existing duct work of the forced air propane furnace" then it is a furnace, not a stove. A furnace is a "warm air" whole home heater, a stove is a "radiant" space heater.

20 pieces is a bunch, a whole bunch more than I could stuff in my furnace (unless they were really small pieces)... that sounds more like a boiler, not a stove or a warm air furnace. Don't fall into the trap thinkin' more wood means longer time between reloads, 'cause that ain't how it works... more wood means more heat, not longer time. If I could get 20 pieces in my furnace the house would be so hot I'd likely knock one of the walls down to cool it off‼

(BTW 1300 sq.ft. over two storeys seems kind of smallish. Is that the total space, or each storey?)

1300 feet total. It is a smaller three bedroom two bath. the worst part of the house is that I have only one car garage that I must leave so she can park her car in it. so I have a lot of stuff crammed into every nook and cranny.

20 pieces is a bunch, a whole bunch more than I could stuff in my furnace (unless they were really small pieces)... that sounds more like a boiler, not a stove or a warm air furnace. Don't fall into the trap thinkin' more wood means longer time between reloads, 'cause that ain't how it works... more wood means more heat, not longer time. If I could get 20 pieces in my furnace the house would be so hot I'd likely knock one of the walls down to cool it off‼
I read your bit on quantity of pieces v.s. heat out put. This is not like that. I put " behind the number 20 indicating inches not quantity. I really don't want to mess around cutting 16" (inch) pieces. I cut with two guys that ***** at me for cutting anything under 30" (inches) They have OWB.

Our furnace takes 22" long pieces, but I cut between 16"-18". If it's a hair too long, it becomes a pita in the firebox. Nothing worse than thinking something will fit until it hits a hot bed if coals and it won't. Also shorter wood tends to season quicker.

I understand spider. I was just clarifying in case someone else missed it too.

but she wants a stove. Here's your answer !
Lmao. She's afraid of the furnace because it's big and complicated to operate. She wants to turn on the heat and have no problems. She also doesn't want to start the fire. I could get to at least add wood. And we have camp fires outside so she has a general knowledge of fire.

Lmao. She's afraid of the furnace because it's big and complicated to operate. She wants to turn on the heat and have no problems. She also doesn't want to start the fire. I could get to at least add wood. And we have camp fires outside so she has a general knowledge of fire.

Use your central heating system and have a free standing wood stove in your living space that only you attend to. You might be surprised after a while how she 'warms up' to operating a beautiful wood stove in the living space. It can shave a lot off of your heating bill.

Don't forget home layout has a lot to do which what choices are best. Split level homes or multi level homes can lend themselves well to a space heater like a stove where as larger single level homes can be hard to move the heat around from a single stove.

For example my house has a terrible layout for a wood furnace because of where the gas furnace is located but because it's split level a single stove heats most of it with no issues. Our laundry room can be a bit chilly but since noone hangs out there it's not a big issue.

First off. 60* is cool but not unmanageable. I spend most time on the couch with blankets on and full pajamas.
Don't forget home layout has a lot to do which what choices are best. Split level homes or multi level homes can lend themselves well to a space heater like a stove where as larger single level homes can be hard to move the heat around from a single stove.

For example my house has a terrible layout for a wood furnace because of where the gas furnace is located but because it's split level a single stove heats most of it with no issues. Our laundry room can be a bit chilly but since no one hangs out there it's not a big issue.

Our house really isn't set up for a stove. And I don't want to have 10 box fans running to push air around. The furnace has no problem heating the joint, I just don't want to pay for the natural gas anymore. I think I'm going to get an add on furnace and teach her how to run it properly. If its just adding wood and adjusting the damper's it shouldn't be too bad.

And on the note of shared gender rolls. That doesn't happen in our house. She is more then capable of running the lawn mower and I can certainly push a vacuum. It really comes down to timing on when what needs to get done and sharing the house chores. Although she I never does laundry and she never does dishes. That is the only think that we agree is a dedicated gender role.

Back