Is pine a quick drying wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nandy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Some of you will remember my initial post about me cutting an uprooted virginia pine tree. I tested it for humidity this morning and the readings were from 19 to 11 percent. I did not cut this tree but a month maybe. It still had very green needles. I have no idea for how long had it been uprooted but to my best recall it could not have been over 2 months before I buck it. So, what do you guys think? Is this normal or maybe the tree was dying before it was uprooted.
Thanks!

Id venture to guess uprooting hastened the drying process by exposing more surface area for moisture to escape. Needles will stay green for a really long time and attached when there is sudden death.

Did you test an exposed end or did you re-cut or split a piece in half and test in the middle?

Rip down the deeper part of the trunk and make a loose ball out of the curly-ques, light it....

If it just don't seem to want to light, try's a little but goes out, lots of smoke, maybe close to 20% , not much your going to do with it this season.

If the ball is hard to light, smokes clear the flames, it's to wet, a SWAG +15% , maybe it will burn towards spring if you split it soon.

If it lights fairly good, smokes but the smoke is burned by the flames, split it up and stack it somewhere dry, it will burn sometime this season, SWAG around 15% .

If it lights, not much smoke at all, burns in no time, what you waiting for, it's maybe as dry as your going to get it.

Latest posts

Back