Is pull cord size some type of national secret?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about para cord. That 550 stuff they "sell" for rigging and such anyone ever tried it? I bought 500' for 3.99

Regards-Carlo

Back to the OP, I have also found it difficult to look up the cord size foe STIHL saws in several of the owner's manuals, or even the service manuals. Seems like it should be a basic maintenance specification, like which spark plug and gap to use. But not consistently listed. I suppose if you have the saw in front of you, you can pull out a caliper, or try to match it up.

Philbert

It is obvious they don't want you to know the size diameter so they can sell you the pull rope. They don't want you to go to the hardware store and buy it for .17 cents a foot.

I think i get the idea of what you're saying, but want to make sure.. Larger cords are OK in the summer because they're flexible, but when they get cold they get a little too stiff to rewind? Could an extra turn of preload on the spring help?
No, not really a contributing factor.
It's the expansion of the freezing process causing it to jam in its drum. Snow in the starter cover can't be avoided in the north in my activities which turns wet then freeze in minutes when shutting down , or a west coastal day can turn into a freezing morning. Even enough water that heavy stuff sticks after time. It's not uncommon to have the starter freeze with the stock cord either on certain days but the heavy stuff will be problematic before any other components start freezing

No, not really a contributing factor.
It's the expansion of the freezing process causing it to jam in its drum. Snow in the starter cover can't be avoided in the north in my activities which turns wet then freeze in minutes when shutting down , or a west coastal day can turn into a freezing morning. Even enough water that heavy stuff sticks after time. It's not uncommon to have the starter freeze with the stock cord either on certain days but the heavy stuff will be problematic before any other components start freezing

OK, I gotcha, and it makes perfect sense :)

Back