Is Red Maple Worth The Effort?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noslo65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Saw a tree service cutting up what I think is red maple. It is not silver and not sugar. Looks like red maple. So I stopped and talked to him. Said he is always looking to get rid of wood. So if figured I would help take some of this and maybe next time it will be oak or something. So I filled my trailer and truck on the way home from work. He has my number now and I will probably get more on my way home on Friday. So I am not going out of my way for it. Just pulled my trailer into work with me. Anyone burn red maple? Is that the way to get in with tree guys? Thanks

let's see.....

1. it was free.
2. it was maple.
3. you got a good source for fire wood as well.

i'd say you made out real good.

red maple firewood

Saw a tree service cutting up what I think is red maple. It is not silver and not sugar. Looks like red maple. So I stopped and talked to him. Said he is always looking to get rid of wood. So if figured I would help take some of this and maybe next time it will be oak or something. So I filled my trailer and truck on the way home from work. He has my number now and I will probably get more on my way home on Friday. So I am not going out of my way for it. Just pulled my trailer into work with me. Anyone burn red maple? Is that the way to get in with tree guys? Thanks

Dont forget rule number one:

Red maple is an invasive species of firewood;and every one that goes down gives native wood a better chance at surviving.

:chainsaw: :cheers: :agree2: :givebeer:

leon

I think it's about the same as silver maple for firewood quality.

Good score for the future either way!!:clap:

Nice burning wood. When it is dry you can tell it is noticeably lighter than hard maple so the btu content is not as high. I just paid 1,450 for 16 cord of red oak logs so sure wouldnt turn up my nose at free red maple!

haha at this stage i wouldent turn down a free load of pine. its getting cold and ive only got about 3 cord in the cellar! i would take the maple. as a matter of fact i take most any wood anyways. if its tall, has leaves (and sometimes needles) and its in someones way it ends up stacked in the cellar. i just started a poplar removal job at a family friends house, he wanted the trees gone and i wanted firewood win win situation.

Sure! Certainly not red oak or sugar maple but OK, especially if it's free. Nice mixer with slopwer burning hardwoods. Easy to split up. -WSJ

Red maple - Acer rubrum
Silver maple - Acer saccharinum
Sugar maple - Acer saccharum

Sugar maple ('hard maple') is fine wood. Red maple's not far behind, but definitely softer and less dense (fewer BTU's). Silver maple's a poor third and not much better than box elder (Acer negundo). All 4 will make you feel like a real hero with a 6 lb. maul.

I've burnt them all and wouldn't turn any of them down today if it was close and free! Get it. -WSJ

Red maple - Acer rubrum
Silver maple - Acer saccharinum
Sugar maple - Acer saccharum

Sugar maple ('hard maple') is fine wood. Red maple's not far behind, but definitely softer and less dense (fewer BTU's). Silver maple's a poor third and not much better than box elder (Acer negundo). All 4 will make you feel like a real hero with a 6 lb. maul.

I've burnt them all and wouldn't turn any of them down today if it was close and free! Get it. -WSJ

red maple is usually called soft maple and has green leaves. very common up here and makes a pretty good firewood.I sure wouldn't turn it down

You burn what you got. These coastal woodlands have enough Red/Swamp/Soft Maple to fill 1/3 to 1/2 of our firewood sheds. The ground is wet and shallow and ledgy.

I do have a dead serious case of Oak Envy ( O.E. ) :censored: . Can anyone help ? Pretty please ? :confused:

Back