Is Stihl 341 a great saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i`m sure is ok or good;
a friend of mine asked me about one; he want to buy a barely used one.
I admit I never heard of 341 and I was so much surprised to find that it is a pro model (initially I told him I think it is not pro- mea culpa is in order)
specs are good; 59 cc, 5,5 kg,4.2Hp

They're the same as a MS361 but a little less power .
Will your friend notice the difference ? Probably not , especially if he does not have a 361 to compare to and even then it is still not an issue because the feel and handling is the same .
Buy it and go cut wood , I would .

:cheers:

It's analogous to a dolmar 7300 vs a 7900. They really only have a role in markets where saws are more expensive and the cost difference between it and the 361 will be significant.

It's analogous to a dolmar 7300 vs a 7900. They really only have a role in markets where saws are more expensive and the cost difference between it and the 361 will be significant.

I basically agree, but saws are very expensive here, and the 341 still never was offered......

I`ve only seen it on stihl.ro
don`t know anything about prices but when I last visited a dealer he had the 362 only a bit more expensive than 361

the 341 is listed as a pro.
if the situation is similar to Husky 372XP/365 it should be listed lower,as a powerful and robust saw.
oh well, i`ll talk to my friend and inform him about what I found out.
I am very curious to find how much does the owner asks for it.

The brands don't do everything the same way, and often they don't even always agree with themselves (on different markets and times), regarding what is pro saws.

I've never understood the reasoning behind detuned saws. Like the ms650 -vs- ms660, 341/361, etc. If they are the same saw then they should cost the same to build.
Why would a company put the same build into two different saws only to detune one? I dunno, doesnt make sense to me.

I've never understood the reasoning behind detuned saws. Like the ms650 -vs- ms660, 341/361, etc. If they are the same saw then they should cost the same to build.
Why would a company put the same build into two different saws only to detune one? I dunno, doesnt make sense to me.

Often times the top end will be easier to cast because of the changes in design, this makes them cheaper. Sometimes they will also use a different manufactures that produce lower quality.

Hi Guys,

The ms341 is a great saw, I own one myself. Differences between the 341 and 361 are: different coil, cylinder and carburator. Max rev. is 13500 for the 341 vs 14000 for the 361.
Biggest difference is the cylinder, the 341 has an open port design, while a 361 has a closed port design. Both cylinders have 4 transfer ports.
I never had the chance of running a 361, but the 341 sure is a great saw. Even better after the port job I gave her:msp_rolleyes:
In smaller wood I don't notice a big difference between my 7900 an the (ported)341, both running an 8 pin setup. (7900 bar 45cm and 341 40 cm)
The 7900 in bigger wood with 63 cm's fully buried..... Well, that's another story.......:msp_cool:

Cheers, Gijs

Last edited:
Could be the porting of the cylinder, but there also are other ways to create a difference.....

If you compare the IPLs, that may give you a clue.

Generally speaking, Stihl IPLs aren't that easy to find.

Yes, some people manage to obtain access to the Stihl database, but for the Average Joe getting a Stihl IPL or SM requires knowing where & who to ask.

It is mainly to hit a lower price point without designing another basic saw.

Saw prices is more a marketing issue than it is a reflection of the actual production costs. Development costs is part of the picture as well.

Latest posts

Back