IS THE STHIL THE BEST ALL ROUND SAW CO?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a Stihl fan and I will say HECK NO Stihl is not the best all around. They are the best all around for ME though. Maybe for you too or maybe not. Just because a 291 is on sale does not mean much to me. I have never been a fan of the 291/311/391 type saws myself. Too heavy for what they are supposed to do. A 261 will cut right with a 391 with 15 less cc's and for a few bucks less in price with 3 less lbs. Anyone buying a 391 is getting a joke played on them.

Didn't you just buy a Dolmar?

Heck man, Echo might be the best all around. You can get anything you want online for them. Just don't need after purchase support because they will hose you. For the folks who work on their own stuff and don't depend on crap shoot service departments Echo may be just the ticket.
Don't know of anybody who is a pro faller that would agree with that.:cool:

Your welcome :happybanana:
just emailed Erica buying a 5015 with heated handle 18 in bar 399$ 45$ to bc and tax im so happy im glad to get another red one blues are showing up here in southern bc more and more, when ever I see someone with a Makita I ask them if there happy and they all grin there happy just a great saw

An answer to the original question; perhaps Dolmar is the best all around saw company in that they cover almost all the bases with quality saws that are priced both for the hobbyist and the professional (yet all of them being constructed and tuned to perform and endure). I suppose they lack a little in the big saw picture. They do have a small lineup, but fairly comprehensive.

I have seen only a few Dolmars in the workplace. The guys that take a chance and run them love them, it seems. "Taking a chance" meaning that their equipment is not as well supported in that there is not a Dolmar dealer in every town. Far from it.

One sawhand in particular sticks out in my mind. He was an experienced hand who showed up one day with a used 7900 he bought on a whim. We looked it over... Huh? About a week later he was telling me how that saw behaved like a wicked hotrod saw. He said it was scary fast and almost too powerful for the job he was doing (seismic). I wouldn't know. Never run one. But I think I get it.

You don't need a really big saw for seismic any more. At one time it was helpful when bucking big slashpiles getting paid by the mile (up to 8m wide catcut). We cut lines differently now (mulchers and narrow). Now there are lots of 60cc saws, but mostly 70cc saws doing that work.

Dolmar makes a Hotrod or two out of the box.
Husky always has and always will (that's what they do. sometimes at a cost...)

Does Echo make a hotrod? A factory out-of-the-box hotrod? If not they surely cannot be considered for the title, IMO.

Have you looked at Echo? I have and will not buy from the major other brands. (Stihl/Husqvarna) Lower price, and the CS 490 has all metal construction, an adjustable oiler for less than compatable other brands.

to be honest, I have only seen 3 echos. An oldtimer of unbreakable heft (but it did have a couple of repairs on it), and a couple of little ones (one was a 370 and something else...400??). They all looked pretty good to me.

But I like Swedish and German saws. Ha!

There is a very appealing Echo at home depot canada right now $434.88 for a cs590 has gotta be good buyin'. But not a hotrod. I don't think the 490 is a stock hotrod either?

Does Echo make an out-of-the-box hotrod? Dolmar does for comparable money. So they deserve the title; possibly. Certainly not Echo.

Just an opinion, of course

An answer to the original question; perhaps Dolmar is the best all around saw company in that they cover almost all the bases with quality saws that are priced both for the hobbyist and the professional (yet all of them being constructed and tuned to perform and endure). I suppose they lack a little in the big saw picture. They do have a small lineup, but fairly comprehensive.

I have seen only a few Dolmars in the workplace. The guys that take a chance and run them love them, it seems. "Taking a chance" meaning that their equipment is not as well supported in that there is not a Dolmar dealer in every town. Far from it.

One sawhand in particular sticks out in my mind. He was an experienced hand who showed up one day with a used 7900 he bought on a whim. We looked it over... Huh? About a week later he was telling me how that saw behaved like a wicked hotrod saw. He said it was scary fast and almost too powerful for the job he was doing (seismic). I wouldn't know. Never run one. But I think I get it.

You don't need a really big saw for seismic any more. At one time it was helpful when bucking big slashpiles getting paid by the mile (up to 8m wide catcut). We cut lines differently now (mulchers and narrow). Now there are lots of 60cc saws, but mostly 70cc saws doing that work.

Dolmar makes a Hotrod or two out of the box.
Husky always has and always will (that's what they do. sometimes at a cost...)

Does Echo make a hotrod? A factory out-of-the-box hotrod? If not they surely cannot be considered for the title, IMO.
---here in our part of bc were lucky being dolmar customers as our dealer is a excellent very intelligent mechanic and has said dolmar in the past was pretty good to him but Ive heard from other domar dealers that Makita, the new co, is not great for backing there saw dealers as chainsaws a not makitas big money maker , power tools are!! as long as Makita does not change the saw much to save money or whatever, the saws should be fine, the design is solid ive run a 7900 its a monster, but in bc theres big douglas fir trees here , and the 7900 has its place like the big magnum saws

The title of this thread is funny! lol
Haha
Yes!
I don't want to get him yelling again but
If he didn't have such a Scottish name; by reading the title, I would have swore he was French Canadian.

I remember about mid 90's working with this young French Canadian guy that came out to do some tree thinning. (Piece work)
He was so bad he had minimum wage ajudgments top up on his cheque. lol ..I could cut that falling backwards.

So he says to me...
" Everyone tell me come to the BC,
come to the BC, make money in the BC. I get the Stihl, I come to the BC and the BC no good, the BC bullchit, only bullchit in the BC". No money.

Come on, Tell me how you real feel

Back