Is there a noiticeable difference in 5 cc's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph in MN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a firewood type, nothing fancy in saws. I have an MS280c with a 20" b/c that I've used for a few years and am thinking that I would like to change. A 261 is lighter, but I like the power that I have now. I know that there are a lot of good 50cc saws on the market. I am trying to find out real world use not spec sheets.

CC's is only part of the picture. Design of the engine, horsepower, fuel efficiency, homeowner design, pro use design - - - -

Are you looking for a bucking saw, or something for doing the limbs?

The 261 is more of a limber in my opinion. Not my first choice for burying in a log.

I think you will find that there is no difference. I have an 026 and several 028's and the 026 feels a little stronger to me than my 028's. The 026 is definitely lighter and I like that....

CC's is only part of the picture. Design of the engine, horsepower, fuel efficiency, homeowner design, pro use design - - - -

Yes, and I don't believe there will be a lot of difference between the 280 and the 261 in practical use - but the 261 surely will be a little nicer in most respects. If the 280 is a US one, the 261 is rated at a little more power.

There are other 50cc saws out there, that is a lot better than the 261 in some regards - but it hardly matters if this is about blocking up logs with a 20" bar.

Last edited:
I think you will find that there is no difference. I have an 026 and several 028's and the 026 feels a little stronger to me than my 028's. The 026 is definitely lighter and I like that....

MS280 is a completely different saw to that of the ole 028.

To the OP......I'd go with the 261.....definetly a better saw (though slightly less cc) than the MS280.
MS280 is a "mid range homeowner" clamshell style saw while the MS261 is a "Professional" use saw designed to give you 100's of hours of usage.

Are you looking for a bucking saw, or something for doing the limbs?

The 261 is more of a limber in my opinion. Not my first choice for burying in a log.

Limbing etc. is not exactly the strong sides of the MS261, it really is too large and clumcy handling for a 50cc saw...

I am a firewood type, nothing fancy in saws. I have an MS280c with a 20" b/c that I've used for a few years and am thinking that I would like to change. A 261 is lighter, but I like the power that I have now. I know that there are a lot of good 50cc saws on the market. I am trying to find out real world use not spec sheets.

Why do you want change ? you've been using the 280 and say you like the power so why change ? I could understand if the 280 is on its last legs or already died.

If you want change then keep the 280 and buy a bigger saw. not something in the same class as yours.

Why do you want change ? you've been using the 280 and say you like the power so why change ? I could understand if the 280 is on its last legs or already died.

If you want change then keep the 280 and buy a bigger saw. not something in the same class as yours.

+1 If you need a little bigger saw and you're a firewood cutter, might I suggest a 562XP. With a simple M/M it'll cut like a 60cc++ with a smile!

On a side note, You could drop down to a 16" on the 280 and 20" on the 562. Just sayin'

Last edited:

If you want to go light, and keep the power you have, keep your 280 and go significantly lighter. 2 saws is better then 1. You can still get the 180 for $200ish new, works great for limbing and small wood. Host of other models with a more or less power and weight that you might prefer to do your jobs.
On the other hand, if I was buying a new 50cc saw for firewood, I'd go 1st for the 261 if money wasn't an object.

My uncle has the 280 and he loves it and I have the 261

We have cut together several times this past summer and he likes the 261 better than his saw

He uses and older MS 250 for limbing and the 280 for everything else

He has cut so many cords with it it's scary for himself and his kid's so when he said he liked the 261 better than his 280 is saying something and yes he has bigger saw's his 044 gets used on the much bigger trees

All his saw's are in cherry shape

002-1.jpg

Kinda looks like beech. :)

5CCs does make a bit of a difference. On smaller saws 10CCs make different class of saw, but for a big power up 20cc upgrades are the thing to go for, so you go from "toy" to limber that can buck, to something that can handle big rounds and felling, to the sequoia dropping monsters.

A 261 is a strong 50cc but it reminds me of the 60cc class more, because its somewhere in between a good limbing saw and something that you'd use for bucking normal sticks. For limbing i'd prefer a 241cm, and for bucking 441cm because i like the new tech on those. If you hate new tech, prefer more power and don't mind the weight 261+461 =)

made in Germany

Yes, and I don't believe there will be a lot of difference between the 280 and the 261 in practical use - but the 261 surely will be a little nicer in most respects. If the 280 is a US one, the 261 is rated at a little more power.

There are other 50cc saws out there, that is a lot better than the 261 in some regards - but it hardly matters if this is about blocking up logs with a 20" bar.

the 280 says its made in Germany on it.
Pretty much blocking. I havent done any falling. I'm liking the weight difference between the 280 and 261, I've always used Stihl but they have never sent me a check so I am open to other brands.

I had a tree guy come in an drop 3 boxelders and a black walnut on my lot, and have 7 more pines to drop then it will be a matter of cutting them up and getting a load of 8 ft lengths to cut. I find thae 280 stresses a few muscles by the end of the day and a little less weight without loosing a lot of power would be nice

never heard of sherbert tree ,does it turn orange like that too when the air hits it ?alder stains your bar and saw that color cutting it

Always thought Stihls were good for cuttin' ice cream. :D :poke:

the 280 says its made in Germany on it.
Pretty much blocking. I havent done any falling. I'm liking the weight difference between the 280 and 261, I've always used Stihl but they have never sent me a check so I am open to other brands.

I had a tree guy come in an drop 3 boxelders and a black walnut on my lot, and have 7 more pines to drop then it will be a matter of cutting them up and getting a load of 8 ft lengths to cut. I find thae 280 stresses a few muscles by the end of the day and a little less weight without loosing a lot of power would be nice

Look into a 550xp :msp_smile:

Back