Is there a Stihl FG2 in the entire country?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly used. Pics are posted in FG2 thread. Just for ballpark, it cost me $250 to get in my hands....

i-zQf4H2R-L.jpg

I am also interested in one at a reasonable price. There have to be lots of them lying around that people aren't using.

At estate sales and flea markets, no one ever seems to know what the Granberg jigs are, so they may now know what the FG2s are for either, or how to list them on CL or eBay.

Philbert

P.S. - Apparently, they are still sold in Europe, so if you know someone traveling there . . . .(could not find any vendors willing to ship to US).

I am also interested in one at a reasonable price. There have to be lots of them lying around that people aren't using.

At estate sales and flea markets, no one ever seems to know what the Granberg jigs are, so they may now know what the FG2s are for either, or how to list them on CL or eBay.

Philbert

P.S. - Apparently, they are still sold in Europe, so if you know someone traveling there . . . .(could not find any vendors willing to ship to US).

Duh, do I feel like a dummy! My brother went to Germany several times last year and early this year. Joked about getting him to bring me a 661 home, never thought about the fg2 I could probably have conned him into bringing home. No more trips to Germany in sight for him unfortunately.

edit: I don't think there were ever many of these sold, no doubt why they aren't marketed here now. Might stumble across one used but I do think they are few and far between.

Hu

Don't kill yourself hunting one down in my opinion. And certainly do not give $250 for one. I have one that I bought new while they were still available here. It works ok but I wouldn't say it is the best thing out there. I find it has too much play to be totally accurate. It does hold the angles well enough but you have to be on top of your tooth length as the wheeled guide does not do a very good job of keeping a consistent tooth size. A homelite410 vise and a roller file guide will be my next setup and I think will work just as well.

They sell for $165 now. It is just expensive to get them here from German Ebay. The price has actually gone down some since I bought mine. I paid $189 plus shipping and fees = $250.

I dont use mine much now that I have a Homelite410 vise. I would very much like to see a Homelite410 bench mount file guide though. Something similar to the FG2 but using his vise design and the ability to use double bevel files.

i-3VjtHZh-L.jpg

I have used the Granberg type filing jigs (I have a few different versions) mounted on 'scrap' bars (.050 and .063 with nose sprockets removed) held in my bench vise. This gives me the control and consistency of the Granberg jig, with the off-the-bar convenience of the FG2, for about $25 (sale or used prices of Granberg or Oregon type jigs). Might not be as convenient or smooth as the STIHL, according to some user comments, but pretty effective.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-file-n-joint-revisited.193630/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/filing-guides.249691/

The filing vise set up Raganr shows above, provides a more solid, clamping grasp of the drive links and cutters, especially for square filing, or other, custom hand filing without a jig or file guide.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back