is there a way to "practice" kickback??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abby4000

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All

This may be a dumb question but is there a way to make my saw kick back so I can see how it feels and how to handle it?

I am just starting to lean how to use a saw and thought this may be something to learn the feel of

Thanks again

The kickback area of the bar is the top half of the nose. Depending on the saw and how long a bar will determine how violent the kickback is. I wouldn't recommend trying it with the saw wide open for sure if you're not experienced. If you do try it make sure you wrap your thumb around the top handle with your hand in front of the brake handle.

The kickback area of the bar is the top half of the nose. Depending on the saw and how long a bar will determine how violent the kickback is. I wouldn't recommend trying it with the saw wide open for sure if you're not experienced. If you do try it make sure you wrap your thumb around the top handle with your hand in front of the brake handle.

and wear all your ppe forsure. be careful.

Hello All

This may be a dumb question but is there a way to make my saw kick back so I can see how it feels and how to handle it?

I am just starting to lean how to use a saw and thought this may be something to learn the feel of

Thanks again

I did the kickback thing making my saw tree the other day , it happened about 20 times , on a side note I am happy to say my chicom saw has a good brake .

Hello All

Thanks again

it's not a dumb question and it is a good thing to do. just do it at very low rpm until you get the feel and hold the saw so that when it comes flying back it won't go straight through you face or rip you shoulder into pieces. play with letting it hit the different areas of your bar so that you get the feeling of where the real danger zone lies.

+ 1000
My dad, whom ran saws forever, never would hold his thumb down, It would be alongside his other fingers on the handlebar!
When he saw me copy him he got very very mad (I was 16), I now hold my thumb down and circle the handlebar.

There is a way that isn't to dangerous. Get yourself some very large rounds of wood. About 20" dia. by 24" tall or larger. Position the saw on it's side, with the saw off. Figure out the a arc of bar if where to kick back sideways. Position the other round of wood to stop the movement of bar. This only demonstrates tip kick back.

I only do this part throttle so show first time chainsaw user what tip kick back is. A good visual aid would be to outline the tip of bar where there is high kick back potential with a red sharpy.

I have not figured a easy way to demonstrate push and pull kick back.

What I described "IS HOW I SHOW KICKBACK". Do at your own risk!!!

One good teaching point is to get new users to learn how to hold the handle bar properly. Meaning locking their thumb under index finger.

I know that most of us cut with a saw just to off to the center(right side) of are bodys. Most of us know or have had training dealing with kick back. I am comfortable cutting that way.

I teach newbies to cut slightly off to the right, keeping the bar arc alway from their body. Is not the most comfortable or natural stance, but if a newbie has a tip kickback. More then likely they are not going to get hurt.

My .02

Mike

Best way to avoid kickback and any dangerous chainsaw issues is to know the mechanics of what causes them and avoid making them happen!

The top quadrant of the bar causes kickback so NEVER cut with the tip of the bar. Compression of the trunk can cause the saw to throw you backward if the trunk compresses the bar - avoid this by doing a bottom upward cut and usind wedges on the downward cut.

Walking over uneven ground with a running saw could make you cut the top of your leg if you slip - put the chainbrake on or turn the saw off until you are ready to cut etc.

All simple stuff

Spud

I don't think practicing kickback is the best idea. Learn proper chainsaw usage and technique and when kickback occurs you should be OK.

:agree2: Always wrap your thumb around the top handle, that way when a kick back does occur your hand won't slip off the handle, that's when you can have the saw flip all the way back and slice your head or shoulder open, especially on a saw without a working chain brake.
A kick back will happen soon enough, without trying to have one, especially when attempting plunge cuts.
I have a buddy with a gruesome injury from a kick back, it happened nearly 20 years ago, a good portion of the muscle from his left forearm is missing from a missing/broken chain brake handle!

Last edited:
'Pull in' and 'push out' aren't kickback! They along with 'kickback' are the three chainsaw reactionary forces.:)

Going off the oregon website: "Kickback is the violent backward and/or upward motion of the chain saw guide bar occurring when the chain near the nose or tip (see picture) of the guide bar contacts any object, such as another log or branch, or when the wood closes in and pinches the cutting chain in the cut."

It can be considered both a reactionary force or a type of kickback depending on who you talk to or were trained.

My .02

Mike

Agreed 100%. Not a smart thing to do to practice something that can maim or kill you.

Gary

Not a smart thing to practice, but demostrate to a newbie that has never touched a saw before is another thing! One thing to talk about kickback. But even better by showing what it is. And how to NOT do it is another ball of wax. Most people learn by hearing/reading and seeing a hands on demostration about a subject. Then just by being told that you need to watch out for "X" and don't do "X".

The first time that I used a saw in the woods. I had my father watching over me like a hawk! The slightest mistake and I heard about it quick! I am sure same thing happened you when started out in the bush. Nobody wants to see anybody get hurt.

My .02

Mike

Agreed 100%. Not a smart thing to do to practice something that can maim or kill you.

I tend to disagree...to a degree. It is better to practice something in a CONTROLLED environment to prepare you for these types of things. "The more you sweat in training...the less you bleed in war." I definitely would not try this at WOT or anything of the sort, but as a beginner it is good to get comfortable with your equipment...especially ones that can maim or kill you.

Todd

Last edited:
Here are a couple of video's that help to explain the forces involved. Stand to the left side of the saw, keep your left elbow locked if you can, and keep your fingers wrapped completely around the handlebar, dont cut with the tip etc, are all things you can do to help lessen the chances. Wear a helmet and chaps, dont cut alone, dont cut when your tired are also best practices. Finally, dont be afraid to say it looks like too much for you to handle if you think it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xodIuufaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2arMD1ITJ4

The trick to KB is know what causes it and not to be terrified of it. Although KB can be violent at times, generally they are not where the saw comes flying upward toward the operator.
It's not something I would practice

There is a video by... Oregon... I think, that shows a running saw on a track being introduced to piece of wood. The thing flys back so fast you can't see anything even going frame by frame. Nasty. I am just not sure this would be something I would want to practice. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back