is there a way to "practice" kickback??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allright all you boys just kickback and relax. Dang you all worse then a bunch of pissed off women. Some people just gotta learn stuff the hard way.

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

The girls got their panties wet.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
Miss Randy, you there ?:sucks:

Allright all you boys just kickback and relax. Dang you all worse then a bunch of pissed off women. Some people just gotta learn stuff the hard way.

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Can't you do better? As if!:angry2:

Ha. You have butcher and log in the same breath in your name. Nuff said from where the boys and I in the logging forum come from...;)

ROOOOOOO KIE :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would ask hear. I probably have more time restoring/rebuilding a saw then using one. As I go I am moving on to bigger saws and older saws with out chain brakes. I have have had a KB or two from a misplaced tip. And like some have said I keep myself out of the path of the bar and try not to have the white knuckle death grip. If somebody could explain what to look for that can cause possible KB. How to spot possible binds. Might be hard to explain and something that just comes with hours of experience, but I am trying to learn what I can. Thanks for any input.

Anytime the kerf above the bar starts closing on you the top of the bar can catch it and push the saw out into you. Limbing and reaching the tip too far and hitting something with the top half of it will throw the bar tip upward back at you. Pay attention to the tip and what's real close to it. When starting a bore cut if you put the bar straight in right away will make it more susceptible to kickback. When you start a bore cut let the bottom of the bar start into the tree far enough to start pulling the saw into it and then straighten the bar up a little.

Anytime the kerf above the bar starts closing on you the top of the bar can catch it and push the saw out into you. Limbing and reaching the tip too far and hitting something with the top half of it will throw the bar tip upward back at you. Pay attention to the tip and what's real close to it. When starting a bore cut if you put the bar straight in right away will make it more susceptible to kickback. When you start a bore cut let the bottom of the bar start into the tree far enough to start pulling the saw into it and then straighten the bar up a little.

:agree2:

Bout covers it! Good job mango.:cheers:

Thank you. Oh and respect the saw but don't be so scared of it. You're in control of it. You put the tip somewhere that will cause it to jump.

Thanks for the input. Up until about six months ago the biggest saw I ran was about 40-50 cc. Now I am getting into much larger saws, and I dont get a chance to run them a lot. Just trying to learn what I can, trying not to make any stupid mistakes, and trying my best to be prepared for any surprises.:cheers:

Thanks for the input. Up until about six months ago the biggest saw I ran was about 40-50 cc. Now I am getting into much larger saws, and I dont get a chance to run them a lot. Just trying to learn what I can, trying not to make any stupid mistakes, and trying my best to be prepared for any surprises.:cheers:

Best advice I can give is to respect the big boys, but let em know who's boss!

They will be different than running 50cc saws. Just have to run em and get a feel for the power.

Kickback comes also from these sort of intricate cuts, that's why I use a 13" bar on the 359 which gives alot more control.
John

log.jpg

I have just about got to where my 044 feel real comfortable in my hands. But I am almost done with a Super 250 bow saw and have a 797 on the way. Those not only are bigger than anything I have ever used to date but no chain brakes either. And from what I have heard those kick like a mule.:)

I have just about got to where my 044 feel real comfortable in my hands. But I am almost done with a Super 250 bow saw and have a 797 on the way. Those not only are bigger than anything I have ever used to date but no chain brakes either. And from what I have heard those kick like a mule.:)

Yup, better hang on to the 797 pretty tight. Randymac can tell you anything you need to know about those big saws.

Latest posts

Back