Is there such a thing as an OEM 038 Mag domed piston????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam08ski

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for a way increasing compression on my 038 mag, already base deleted, had a sniff from somewhere and someone that the OEM 038 52mm's are domed to raise compression? my mag is an aftermarket ms380 meteor piston and flat topped.

The original ones I've seen were all flat tops.
I suspect it's either case of somebody getting confused or of something else being "adapted" for the job, such as a piston from a dirt bike.

Yep I thought as much, next question is there a 52mm piston with more material above the pin to create a pop up? Maybe an 046 or 050.. I dunno just throwing thoughts out there. Happy to mod the piston if one is similar. Got spare cylinders to score too.. :laugh:

My weekend farm days of needing a saw are over, my firewood hoarding days have taken over. All I need is one dependable saw, whether that be my mag or 372xp I do not mind. But my days of messing around with machines will never cease.
If I have a saw that is not my one I depend on then it will get internally messed with :dumb:

I just like the idea of Frankensawing something. Realistically my 038 is the better route to frankensaw as it is becoming redundant in my needs for as you say the weight issue it has.. I may just buy a cheap 272 piston, see how it looks machined down, make sure the ports all work and then buy a meteor one if a cheap one works. Although I like experimenting I am no fan of cheap materials. I still want it to last :surprised3:

I would recommend messing with the 372, easier to work on and in general a wider variety of better quality after msrket parts that are easy to get. At the end of the the day it is also the better saw to use. The oiler system on the 372 alone would be the deciding factor for me, AM 038 plastic gears were iffy. Not to mention the carb, boots and air filters.

There used to be quite a few threads on this site about modifications to the 038s, not sure if they are still here.

I would recommend messing with the 372, easier to work on and in general a wider variety of better quality after market parts that are easy to get. At the end of the the day it is also the better saw to use. The oiler system on the 372 alone would be the deciding factor for me, AM 038 plastic gears were iffy. Not to mention the carb, boots and air filters.

There used to be quite a few threads on this site about modifications to the 038s, not sure if they are still here.
Yep looked at them all, I have a soft spot for this 038 and spent the winter rekindling it from its trash death that I got it in.

I have fixed my air filter/choke flap issue and I have no issue with the intake boot. The Bing carb works a treat even if it was a pain in the arse to set the metering lever. I personally like the plastic gears, they are easy to get to and maintain and grease and if the tolerances are good I cannot see much going wrong. The fuel pump adjustment cam has been opened up to allow for more oil so it's all good to go.

The fact is I know the 038 is the worse saw to use for most things but the 372 works nicely and is in decent nick. Albeit I would prefer a wider powerband with it, that can come at a later date. But this 038 has some serious grunt and can lean the hell on it in the cut and I know that there is far more to be had outta it, not once has it bogged on me yet!

I also will not be too sad with the amount of cylinders that I have for it if something doesn't work and I trash one.

My weekend farm days of needing a saw are over, my firewood hoarding days have taken over. All I need is one dependable saw, whether that be my mag or 372xp I do not mind. But my days of messing around with machines will never cease.
If I have a saw that is not my one I depend on then it will get internally messed with :dumb:

I just like the idea of Frankensawing something. Realistically my 038 is the better route to frankensaw as it is becoming redundant in my needs for as you say the weight issue it has.. I may just buy a cheap 272 piston, see how it looks machined down, make sure the ports all work and then buy a meteor one if a cheap one works. Although I like experimenting I am no fan of cheap materials. I still want it to last :surprised3:

272 piston is nothing from hutzl. i'm waiting on a 372 big bore kit and a 272 piston for a play saw :D i definitely would not buy it for a saw i had to depend on at this point though. see how that build survives before i decide on it but if it lasts 500 tanks and performs i'll consider using them for work.

Latest posts

Back