Is this a Dolmar in wolf's clothing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly,that is also what I said, the models ps32 are supposed to be manufactured in china. I am not sure about the models ps35, but the ps350 and above are supposed to be manufactured all in hamburg/germany.

This is no longer true, at least for the Makita-branded versions of these saws. The Makita 4300 (Dolmar 421) is now made in China.

Doug

Where do you have that information from?

I recently purchased the 4300/421 and the label says "Made in China". I wasn't happy, since I had read on this forum that the 421 was made in Germany.

I then contacted the dealer, and he said that production of the 4300/421 has shifted to China to free up production capacity at the German plant for other saws, including some new models. Dolmar is unable (or unwilling?) to expand its German production capacity.

My guess is that we will see production of other Dolmar saws shift to China as well.

Doug

I recently purchased the 4300/421 and the label says "Made in China". I wasn't happy, since I had read on this forum that the 421 was made in Germany.

I then contacted the dealer, and he said that production of the 4300/421 has shifted to China to free up production capacity at the German plant for other saws, including some new models. Dolmar is unable (or unwilling?) to expand its German production capacity.

My guess is that we will see production of other Dolmar saws shift to China as well.

Doug
Interesting! What I know is that dolmar/makita had a time that they assembeld in china but had bad results and transfered the production back to hamburg. But my info is a few years old so it might seem that they are trying again. I contacted a dealer that has his shop right around the corner from the hamburg production facility to see what he knows.

@Doug Fir ,

You are correct with your info! I just recieved the confirmation that the 421 is made in PRC.

Further how long the rest of the production is going to stay in Germany is unclear.

I really wish they would leave all production in Germany. I would rather buy a American made Husqvarna then a Chinese Dolmar. It just seems the best quality is always from the company's origin country. Stihl, Dolmars, in Germany and Sweden for the Husqvarna and Johns reds. Guess I better take good care of the saws I have.

I really wish they would leave all production in Germany. I would rather buy a American made Husqvarna then a Chinese Dolmar. It just seems the best quality is always from the company's origin country. Stihl, Dolmars, in Germany and Sweden for the Husqvarna and Johns reds. Guess I better take good care of the saws I have.

While I sympathize with your point of view, I think that the jury is still out on the quality of Chinese-made Dolmars. There was a period of time when Dolmar assembled the 510 in China. I have heard mixed reports about those saws. Some dealers say that they were fine, but on the other hand they decided to shift production back to Germany, which suggests that it was a failed experiment. The PS-32 has also been made in China, for some time now. They seem to be OK.

Makita seems to be rolling the dice once again. It's difficult to know whether the new Chinese-made Dolmars will prove to be reliable. I am one of the "guinea pigs", as I purchased a Chinese-made 4300/421 (thinking that it was made in Germany). I feel a bit uneasy about it. On the other hand, it's an inexpensive saw so if it proves to be a piece of crap it will be an inexpensive lesson. If you are thinking about buying a Makita/Domar, I would ask yourself a couple of questions: (1) Do you know where the saw was made? You can't assume that it was made in Germany. (2) If it was made in China, do you want to take the chance that the quality is just as good as the German-made saws?

According to the manual that came with my saw, my Chinese-made Makita is a "German quality product". That's a bit vague. If they had said that it was a "quality German product" it would be an outright lie. But they are not claiming that it is a German product, only that it has "German quality". Yeah, we'll see about that. :surprised3:

Doug
a Makita guinea pig

I am much more realistic in this topic after seeing that my 20 year old VW rabbit having most of the electric stamped made in China. I don't care too much anymore as long as a quality company overlook s the production.

Again I think my Chinese Dolmar is very good.

Made/assembled in China to German specs is a whole lot different than aftermarket parts made in China by the lowest bidder that kinda sorta work to fix up a used saw.

It's good to know that you like your Chinese Dolmar. So far I have no complaints about my Chinese-made 4300. It seems to be very well made and it certainly runs well, even though it's not yet broken in. Lots of grunt for such a small saw. I'm optimistic.

Doug

Back