Is this a real Homelite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How Do You Change the Sprocket?

Finely got around to looking at this thing. Piston looks great, air filter was in good shape, and all around looked good. Put some fuel and oil in it and it fired right up. Seems like a keeper. Just need to sharpen the chain and put it in some wood. I wish all my projects were this easy.
Just got one in just like yours that needed service--release #10695A with a huge 16" bar and chain. Hard to believe a 26 cc motor is supposed to be able to pull that. I've cleaned it up, sharpened the chain, and I'll try to start her tomorrow. Cleaned the air filter that couldn't be hidden much further out of sight. Knocked out all the grime around the flywheel. Sharpened the chain, etc. Saw looks great but may not run.

Say, that chain sprocket is buried so deep that I just don't see how anyone would be able to change it without taking the whole saw apart. Is that true?

Just got one in just like yours that needed service--release #10695A with a huge 16" bar and chain. Hard to believe a 26 cc motor is supposed to be able to pull that. I've cleaned it up, sharpened the chain, and I'll try to start her tomorrow. Cleaned the air filter that couldn't be hidden much further out of sight. Knocked out all the grime around the flywheel. Sharpened the chain, etc. Saw looks great but may not run.

Say, that chain sprocket is buried so deep that I just don't see how anyone would be able to change it without taking the whole saw apart. Is that true?

I dont know. I didnt really look at that. I got lucky with this one being a real clean with hardly any use at all, and was stored dry. Just had to dig out the air filter to check it and then fired it up. I know that it is buried pretty good and dosnt look like a fun job. Must have figured when the sprocket wears out the saw will be worn out LOL.

I don't know. I didn't really look at that. I got lucky with this one being a real clean with hardly any use at all, and was stored dry. Just had to dig out the air filter to check it and then fired it up. I know that it is buried pretty good and doesn't look like a fun job. Must have figured when the sprocket wears out the saw will be worn out LOL.
Agreed, Brian. Here's my list:
(1) That housing that covers the sprocket cannot be removed and that has to be one of the poorest designs I have ever seen.

(2) The air filter was also somewhat of a mystery. That flap hinges out so that you can pull it out to clean it, but you have to be careful that you don't tear apart the foam.

(3) Note where they hid the idle adjustment, right below the choke lever. Rather inconspicuous. And, if you had to service that carb, it would be close to imposssible to remove it as well.

(4) I imagine you did notice that you only have to remove one of the handle screws (the top one) in order to remove the pull-cord housing. The handle comes off together with the pull-cord housing.

(5) Beware also of the primer line and primer that is fastened to the gas cap. The primer line can easily separate from the cap/primer bulb assembly. I'm surprised that the owners haven't pulled them apart routinely while trying to fill the fuel tank. The gas cap is not the easiest thing to reach and work with either.

I guess that's enough for now. If I get it running, I may forgive and forget a few of these.
:dizzy:

I'm working on one of those right now, i think they are very easy to work on, probably because it's the only saw i ever worked on.

Mine runs and cuts wood but the oiler does not work. I'm going to put a new fuel line, oiler lines, duckbil valve, fuel filter and air filter on. Just waiting for the oil lines to arrive at my door ...

(5) Beware also of the primer line and primer that is fastened to the gas cap. The primer line can easily separate from the cap/primer bulb assembly. I'm surprised that the owners haven't pulled them apart routinely while trying to fill the fuel tank. The gas cap is not the easiest thing to reach and work with either.
Mine has no primer line and i've never seen one before with a primer bulb:confused: also the parts list does not show it

Arboristsite MVP

Hmmm...I paid $10.00 for a Homelite Textron Super 2 (Charlotte, N.C.), and I'm now thinking that I overpaid by $9.00

You did!!! I hate those saws. I've farted around with several of them and never had one that ran good. Those are the saws that gave me an early impression as a teenager that Homelite was garbage. The only one of those that I ever had that ran any good was the one that I took apart, cleaned up put new fuel lines and filters on then upon reassembly realized that post that supports the bar was snapped off and the saw was garbage.

Ebay that thing now and go find a clapped out Poulan Micro or older top handled Craftsman. You'll thank me.

...You did!!! I hate those saws. I've farted around with several of them and never had one that ran good. Those are the saws that gave me an early impression as a teenager that Homelite was garbage. The only one of those that I ever had that ran any good was the one that I took apart, cleaned up put new fuel lines and filters on then upon reassembly realized that post that supports the bar was snapped off and the saw was garbage.

Ebay that thing now and go find a clapped out Poulan Micro or older top handled Craftsman. You'll thank me.

Maybe I could sell it to you :laugh:? This thread is interesting, because most of the comments I read on the small Homelites are very negative, seems that many folks absolutely hate working on 'em. I haven't attempted to do anything to my Super 2.

I've worked on plenty of XLs, Super 2s and the like. They were configured in many different ways through the years. Some had primer bulbs some didn't. Some had electronic ignition. Most of the problems I've run into with these involve the fuel lines and duckbill valves. After a while the duckbill valves look like they've melted in the oil tank. In the fuel tank they usually fall out. I prefer the ones with the H and L adjustments on the carb. Some only have one screw and are harder (for me) to get them adjusted right. These may not be quite as good as the small Poulans but if you put them together right you can use them to cut firewood for a long time. I still have my first one from the late 1970s.

Mine came to me free, so I dont feel like I lost anything. It does look like a PIA to do simple work on it, but i have not found any reason to not want to use it. Havnt got to cut with it yet, but it sounds like it will do a fine job. I dont know that I would build a business around it, but for what it is I am pretty happy with it, especially considering my investment in it LOL.

Some only have one screw and are harder (for me) to get them adjusted right

Now that you mentioned that. I recall the one busted up one that I had running good had the H and the L adjustments on the carb.

To original post...

Real vs box store? Not sure what that means. Homelites were sold in hardware stores in the 1970's. If you mean real as in original company vs virtual brand now made in Asia, then yes, that's a real one, a US made saw. It's a consumer saw, but a real one.

To original post...

Real vs box store? Not sure what that means. Homelites were sold in hardware stores in the 1970's. If you mean real as in original company vs virtual brand now made in Asia, then yes, that's a real one, a US made saw. It's a consumer saw, but a real one.

That was what I asking. I was referring to box store as HomeDepot type, cheap Chines Homelite.

I got it running.

It runs, Brian. The carb was out of adjustment. Low speed throttle was too tight, so the saw died whenever the operator pressed quickly on the trigger. Unscrewed it a quarter turn and that fixed that.

Refastened the primer/cap fuel line tube. Lousy design. Somebody needed their head examined there. Cleaned the air filter and sharpened the chain.

Saw runs like a top. Cranks out almost 13,000 rpm. Good as new--until the sprocket goes. Then it's probably a throwaway. Looks like the entire engine would have to be yanked from the housing to change the sprocket.

If that's the case, glad it's not my saw.

It runs, Brian. The carb was out of adjustment. Low speed throttle was too tight, so the saw died whenever the operator pressed quickly on the trigger. Unscrewed it a quarter turn and that fixed that.

Refastened the primer/cap fuel line tube. Lousy design. Somebody needed their head examined there. Cleaned the air filter and sharpened the chain.

Saw runs like a top. Cranks out almost 13,000 rpm. Good as new--until the sprocket goes. Then it's probably a throwaway. Looks like the entire engine would have to be yanked from the housing to change the sprocket.

If that's the case, glad it's not my saw.

Yeah, but it only takes seconds to yank the engine from the housing. I've done it many times, each time seems easier. I will admit it would have been better if they'd put a cover on the clutch like most saws.

Finely got to cut with it today, and I am impressed. Not bad for 20 cc's of fury LOL. Ran good, cut well, and I am happy. I think it is a definite keeper.

Homelite XL story

My Dad bought one like this around 1991, I am unsure where from. Around 1994 I bought him a Stihl 025. He always prefered the Homelite b/c it was light and easy to pull the crank. He is now 76 and a year or so ago the set it on his Tractor's rear mower and the blade pulley ate a hole in the gas tank. He had basically tossed it to the side and bought himself a 99.00 homelite from HD. It has alot of compression kickback so I tore the little XL apart and found a tank on Ebay, Cleaned it up and put in a new oil pump and carb kit. It runs great and he is thrilled to have his knock around saw back. The only hard part I find is the linkage and I have figured out that if you open the carb throttle plate and connect that end last it makes it fairly easy. I have taken it apart a couple times and am almost a pro with it now. The 025 Stihl stays with me and is in great condition for its age as well.

Later,
22R

Back