Is this black locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My northeastern eyes tell me it's either some type of hickory, or a real old cherry tree. But, I'm a mechanic. I'm better at ID'ing leaves than bark, unless it's something blatantly obvious like a white birch or shagbark hickory.

Some looks to be, I've cut lots of Black locust, some honey.
Honey.
View attachment 964841
The piles on the left are primarily Black Locust.
View attachment 964842

When they are at my house, they are all, the Black's Locust ;).

Cutting a little Black Locust, easy to see the difference in the bark.

Arborist told me that the there are honey locust with thorns and without. Here is some I have without the thorns.

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_170611.jpg
    IMG_20220214_170611.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220214_170604.jpg
    IMG_20220214_170604.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
My northeastern eyes tell me it's either some type of hickory, or a real old cherry tree. But, I'm a mechanic. I'm better at ID'ing leaves than bark, unless it's something blatantly obvious like a white birch or shagbark hickory.

Cherry has a course, flakey bark that comes off easily if you tug at the bark with your fingers. And wood is more reddish. Hickory I'm less familiar with.. but I think not

Doesn’t look like honey locust from my neighborhood. More like silver maple. Can’t really tell from those pics. Show some upper branches or slice one of the rounds open for a look see at the grain. 2 cents worth.

Arborist told me that the there are honey locust with thorns and without. Here is some I have without the thorns.
Yep, there are. I said that above. I also posted a picture of both, the thorns in one and the non-thorned in the post with two pictures.

That looks like it split very nice, most our honey locust is a mess to split, much like elm :baba:. But it all burns great :blob2: .

When you cut a locust around here (or have the wind knock it down) wherever a branch stabs into the ground, a new locust tree will grow.

A friend at work wanted to put up a basketball hoop for his son.
He went to his father's farm, cut a locust, stripped all the bark, and stuck it in the ground, with the hoop bolted on.

Two years later, that locust post started to put out leaves,, then within five years, it had branches,,
When I saw the thing, it was a full grown locust tree,, next to his driveway,, that was after 20 years.
The post regrew all of its bark,,
and they will sprout lots of new saplings in a circle where the parent tree died

Latest posts

Back