Is this jug any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a 066 Magnum. Some of the lining has been honed away on the side of the exhaust port. If I were to port this jug, I would go past the missing lining. I'm still concerned about it being too thin though.
272617597_G6tK7-M.jpg

Also, there are a few scratches above the exhaust port that didn't hone out. I cannot feel them.
272617711_UnqVz-M.jpg

The intake and transfers look good.
272617579_DAsFC-M.jpg

I'm guessing the top of the cylinder was over honed in trying to remove the scratches.

It is hard to tell for sure but it looks rough, and I don't see any crosshatch. The chrome on that cylinder is very hard and very thin, and honing with rough stones is a good way to ruin it for sure.

Yours or some one else's?
I've run worse.
I wouldn't stand behind it if my reputation was at stake.

I'd be concerned about the horizontal "hone" lines tearing up the rings. I'm betting he didn't keep it moving at the correct rate to develop a 45 degree crosshatch.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned about the horizointal "hone" lines tearing up the rings. I'm betting he didn't keep it moving at the correct rate to develop a 45 degree crosshatch.

Again, I'd figure that's because they were trying to remove those scratches at the very top of the bore, rather than just putting a honed cross-hatch in it.

I'm certainly no expert on hone jobs but if you're not happy with it source a replacement. Keep that one to "play" with. You don't do scabbed together work saws Brad, get 'er done right...........................

...................just my .02

I'm working on a 066 Magnum. Some of the lining has been honed away on the side of the exhaust port. If I were to port this jug, I would go past the missing lining. I'm still concerned about it being too thin though.
272617597_G6tK7-M.jpg

Also, there are a few scratches above the exhaust port that didn't hone out. I cannot feel them.
272617711_UnqVz-M.jpg

The intake and transfers look good.
272617579_DAsFC-M.jpg

I'm guessing the top of the cylinder was over honed in trying to remove the scratches.
It will be ok.

I agree that its not perfect. I also know that you dont need the saw to use tomorrow. If it was my saw and my only one it would be running right now. What you are doing is for build quality, and in that case I wouldnt use it.

I agree that its not perfect. I also know that you dont need the saw to use tomorrow. If it was my saw and my only one it would be running right now. What you are doing is for build quality, and in that case I wouldnt use it.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm sure I could sand down all the scoring on the piston, open the ring grooves back up, reinstall the original rings, and go cut wood. Been there, seen that. But as Bowtie said, this is about a hobby project that doesn't have to be done tomorrow or next week. Bottom line, I want it right. I'm also going to be putting a fair amount of time and effort into modding this P&C, so I don't want to spend my time on a 75% worn out jug.

Unless you can talk me out of it, I'll be ordering a BB kit in the morning. We've already had that discussion and I think it's time to take a look at one.

Last edited:
If you go with the BB prepaire yourself for a bit of work. The castings are a little rough and the squish is VERY LOOSE. The chamber isn't too huge but the piston pin retainers are junk. The chome is not too bad though. If you go with the big bore plan on spending some time polishing up the rough edges and realize that you may lose some top end performance. They do seem to have a lot of torque but they definatly don't want to turn the RPM's that the stockers do.

If you are looking for the "right way" I would go Andy's direction. If you are going to screw around with somthing I would just as soon mess around with the slightly buggered stock jug. Port it past the chrome defect and hit the rough edges with emery and run it until it fails. At that point you can decide what to do from there.

:givebeer: Keep up the good work!

If you go with the BB prepaire yourself for a bit of work. The castings are a little rough and the squish is VERY LOOSE. The chamber isn't too huge but the piston pin retainers are junk. The chome is not too bad though. If you go with the big bore plan on spending some time polishing up the rough edges and realize that you may lose some top end performance. They do seem to have a lot of torque but they definatly don't want to turn the RPM's that the stockers do.

I'll be addressing all those issues reguardless whether OEM or BB. So I don't care about squish or casting in the ports. I just don't see writing off the BB kit as "the wrong way" of doing it, especially when I will be addressing all the concerns mentioned. If we were dealing with someone just wanting a bolt on, then maybe. But that's now what we're talking about here.

Back