Is this jug toast? 394xp cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thanks man.
I was reading something last week where they were useing hydrochloric acid to strip chrome plate. Didn't want to muck up a cylinder for lack of knowledge.:omg:

Ok, so didn't see how 'much' I should have cleaned up the jug. I went this far, put her back together and she is running fine on the new piston. Just need to identify a break-in procedure.

e2ef32c226788bea7533d6ff556a3ad7.jpg

9d2232a6fcc636307619a5241dcde7fa.jpg

Zip-tie ring compressor worked perfect!

37ea4ff79d2237e52ecccbd081c6d535.jpg

And here she is after first start and running a bit. Can't even pull the cord without the decompression button!

7a3142791eac9f752d64d23cf362db62.jpg

So what's the break in for new rings and piston kit?

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Yup...to be honest, at the time this morning, I thought I was not removing aluminum but was actually removing the cylinder coating. This was not the case as it turns out, but it made me tentative to keep using the Emory and sand paper after it felt all very smooth.

Maybe she won't last long? But So far I have run 2 tanks of gas through. All good running rich and 40-1 at wot in 20inch oak. Made 39 cuts in the oak on the two tanks running the 42" bar.

I guess I just run it, and maybe pick up the 395 conversion or even the 58mm big-bore conversion from ebay.
If I do all this work again, it should be for more power ;).

Been working great...milled 28" silver maple last week and spent about an hour cutting....broke in the new piston by running three tanks of gas one-after-the-other cross cutting and she was a champ....guess I got lucky? The big change was putting the new HD air filter on...holy god she needed more fuel! That thing can suck some air.

Cylinder May last a long time but compression may suffer.

I'm a snowmobile guy and all we do is hone cylinders. No sandpaper. Why not hone a chainsaw cylinder?

Back