Is this normal (Husky 365 leaking a small amount of gasoline)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonka56

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After running my 365 Special and letting it sit for a half hour or so, a small amout of gasoline spills out of the right side of the powerhead near the handle if I lift it and turn in on its side (I did this to loosen the bar oil cap to prevent leaking)...probably about a quarter cup or less. It does not leak gas otherwise. What's going on here?

Tonka56 said:
After running my 365 Special and letting it sit for a half hour or so, a small amout of gasoline spills out of the right side of the powerhead near the handle if I lift it and turn in on its side (I did this to loosen the bar oil cap to prevent leaking)...probably about a quarter cup or less. It does not leak gas otherwise. What's going on here?

are you sure its not coming out of the over flow line?

lovetheoutdoors said:
are you sure its not coming out of the over flow line?

It may very well be. Can you describe the location and function of the overflow line? I'll go look at the saw and so if I can't get you some more descriptive info.

Tonka56 said:
It may very well be. Can you describe the location and function of the overflow line? I'll go look at the saw and so if I can't get you some more descriptive info.

take the carb cover off and you can find the over flow line, just see where it goes, im not sure on a 365.

Ok...I assume the overflow line is there to prevent overfilling. I'm not sure exactly where it's located.

The gas leaks from the small crease where the lower portion of the handle (the gas tank) meets the upper portion (containing the throttle trigger) right near where the half-wrap handle is fixed to the powerhead (bar side.)

Yep, there's what looks like a tank vent around where you described. If you tip the saw on its side and look up under the cover there (r/h side), you should see a small white vent, round shape.
Mine leaks from there if the tank is fairly full and the saw is thrown around in the car etc.
Has done since new.
Hope this helps.

I have a 262XP that does that; bought a new tank vent(black tapered tube with what looks like a porous, white ceramic plug in the end of it), carefully seated it, and it still leaks... I assumed it was there to allow air into gastank, as the fuel gets used, to equalize pressure.

Newfie said:
Had a new 372 do the same thing on occasion. Turned out that the tank vent was not seated properly.

So you were able to get it to stop leaking entirely...even when you bounce it around in your truck, shake it upside down, etc?

Tonka56 said:
So you were able to get it to stop leaking entirely...even when you bounce it around in your truck, shake it upside down, etc?

Yup, the saws ride in the toolboxes everywhere the truck goes. It was under warranty so I took it back to the dealer and he said that the vent had come loose or more likely never seated properly at the factory as he had several come back with the exact same issue.

Tank vents are not supposed to leak at all, and you shouldn't have to live with one that does. In case you didn't already do it, check to see if you have a bad fuel line. Has the saw been running OK, or have you had to richen up the carb recently?

My 365 does the samething. I have had it back to the Husky dealer about 3 times and asked about it. He said the vent "weeps" fuel when the tank is over filled. Overfilled? Wouldn't that mean there is no room in the tank for fuel and it spills out? My saw has done this since it was brand new. It doesn't leak a lot but it is annoying to see it leaking out onto my truck tailgate. Looks like I'll have to check the vent seat.

Ray

spike60 said:
Tank vents are not supposed to leak at all, and you shouldn't have to live with one that does. In case you didn't already do it, check to see if you have a bad fuel line. Has the saw been running OK, or have you had to richen up the carb recently?

Saw is brand new. This is the second tank of gas. It's been running fine otherwise.

spike60 said:

I see where you are going with this.
I was using my saw, Suddenly The saw wanted to die. So I shut her down went to get a screwdriver. When I came back. Noticed gas was leaking out right hand side.
Turned out to be a crack in the fuel line between the tank and plastic base that holds carb.

manual said:
Were you able to find out whats wrong with your saw?

Not really. It's such an intermittent problem that I can't figure out exactly where the gas was coming from. Apparently the conditions have to be just right for the saw to leak. Right now I can shake it upside down and hold it at every angle and it doesn't leak.

Last edited:
Back