Is This Poison Ivy ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I'm immune to poison ivy.

I know how to identify it, and am usually the first one to spot it.

That said, I've spotted it dozens, if not hundreds of times. I've never had a symptom, an have never headed to the shower with a bottle of simple green after I knew I was exposed. I feel sorry for you folks. I'm not flippant about it, but it really doesn't scare me.

Pete

I am guessing here, but ya ain't hit 40 yet have you? LOL!!!

I used to be able to roll in PI. Never bothered me, when others around me got all tore up with it.

Just wait, and enjoy it while you are waiting.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am guessing here, but ya ain't hit 40 yet have you? LOL!!!

I used to be able to roll in PI. Never bothered me, when others around me got all tore up with it.

Just wait, and enjoy it while you are waiting.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Same here, Use to never bother me but now it gets a little worse every time i get the stuff. It actually left mild scars on my arms from this summer cutting blowed down oaks. It was all over the place and one tree had it all the way up it.

How to Deal With Poison Ivy

object>

It never bothered me when I was younger either. I think I was between thirty , and thirty five when I got my first PI outbreak. It was bad..... I unknowingly weed wacked it in shorts :cry::cry::bang:. Ever since then all I need to do is get within fifty feet and I'm covered with it. :dizzy:

I'll be 55 next month and haven't ever had poison ivy bother me much at all. I've had some small rashes but nothing that really bothered me. I cut quite a bit of locust last year with poison ivy growing all over it and then burned the brush without it doing much of anything. Lucky I guess.

I'll be 55 next month and haven't ever had poison ivy bother me much at all. I've had some small rashes but nothing that really bothered me. I cut quite a bit of locust last year with poison ivy growing all over it and then burned the brush without it doing much of anything. Lucky I guess.

Guy I work with (and delegate all PI-related duties to) is about your age and still immune.

(I actually had to educate him on what it looks like. And he's from 'Jersey - I thought PI was their official state flower, for criminey's sake! )

Poison Ivy

This should clear it up. Look at this picture. I am putting this in plain English. What you are seeing is actually one leaf. The one compound leaf is attached by a petiole (the long stem). Each of the three leaflets is attached by a petiolule (a stem that attaches a leaflet). The two leaflets on the sides have very short petiolules; in fact, those two petiolules can barely be seen, if at all. The important part is the center leaflet that has the long petiolule. The center petiolule will always be much longer than the others. Poison ivy will always have three leaflets (unless one broke off or something really rare). It will never have 4, 5, 6, or 7 leaflets on the same stem that happens to also have 3; typically that is going to be Virginia creeper. V.C. can have a combination, but typically has 5 leaflets, none of which have an extended petiolule on the center leaflet.

CAUTION! You may identify Virginia creeper and assume you are safe. Poison ivy often grows right there along with it. If you know what you are looking at, you will begin seeing it everywhere and wonder how you have survived this long. Happy trails!

Being highly allergic I forgot I was after getting into the firewood business.... Ironically I haven't broken out yet..

Whether its because I use gloves 95% of the time
Whether its because I use Technu Oil Cleaner as soon as I scratch a spot and feel an itch
Whether its dumb luck
Whether its maybe I got immuned to it

I Knock on firewood everyday.

Spraying chemicals

Read the label! So often do people say, "I sprayed Roundup on it, but it didn't die." Be patient. It takes time to work. My favorite is, "I mixed it double strength, and it killed it good, but it came right back." That doesn't make sense, or does it?

Read the label. If the label tells you to mix at X oz. per gallon, and you exceed that; you are breaking a state and federal law. Additionally, you are costing yourself money in wasted chemicals and polluting the environment, possibly your own drinking water or fishing hole. These scientist have spent hundreds of millions of dollars testing, and you are not going to come up with a better formula while sipping on a cold one in your back yard.

A little is good, so why is a lot not better? Let's take Round-up, since everyone loves it so much. The active ingredient is Glyphosate; that's what to look for when buying. Save yourself some money and buy the generic. Ok, glyphosate works by coming in contact with a green surface... a leaf, a green stem (there are exceptions, but let's stick to the basics). If you spray a woody trunk or the dirt, you are not really hurting anything (long term exposure has shown some problems; but again, let's stick to the basics). The chemical is absorbed through the photosynthetic process (this is why Round-up works better in the sun). If too much active ingredient is applied, the top of the plant dies, but the root stays. If applied properly the chemical is translocated through the plant and down to the roots. Root dies; plant dies.

Slow kill is a better kill!!!!!

don't smoke it

I'm knock on wood so far never had a case of it... but.. had friends that were on fires in CA or Oregon, or somewhere in that general area... and well the Ivy, or the Oak, or .... yeah the Poison Ivy, or Poison Oak oils actually burned and make ppl react just from breathing the smoke.... I try to stay away anymore.. I"m able to pick the leaves place it on my skin and get no reaction from the ivy today, .. .. It's one of those the more you see it the more you react.... so I"m not touching it, never reacted to it. I avoid it when I see it nowadays, I know it when I see it.. previous to me was the , "leaves of three, leave it be" simple but true .. who's the one that said leaves of three.... I'll find you you know...tree.. maples are harmless, but why chance it... well certain maples can be confused with ivy.. it's the Acer in them
sheesh.. I'm fallin down, what's Poison Ivy's latin name....??? .... anyone?
but it's gonna mess you up once it starts kind of things.. * why can't it be an addiction instead of the anti tolerance

ivy blends in, it looks like ground cover, this time of year it's potent like well it even turns red from time to time it's so potent.. learn it recognize it and avoid it if at all possible that ivy...

and apologies for not offering any good advice whatsoever just .. .. ..

Laird,

Us tractor trash folks use some stuff called non-ionic surficant or a "Sticker" like crop oil to do exactly as you describe. LOL!!

a small amount of dish soap would work about the same.

Some brands of glyphosate like "Cropsmart" include the NIS in the mix if ya shop around;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 for the dish soap.. Good advice! I'd rep ya but I'm out again.

poison ivy
Toxicodendron radicans
(older synonyms are Rhus toxicodendron and Rhus radicans)

It belongs to the cashew (Anacardiaceae) family, but I do not recommend eating it. A poison ivy rash is a negative reaction to the toxin urushiol, which is found in the oily sap of the leaves, stems, flowers, and roots. It can affect you in many ways, including: inhaling the smoke or brushing against the leaves, vines, or roots.

By the way, the goo is not contagious and won't spread the rash to other parts of your body. It is your body's reaction to the infection, similar to puss in an ant bite.

Back