Is this really necessary? Clutch Cover for 426 and 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been looking into making carbon fiber covers...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

In some ways yes it is, the 500’s and 462 clutch covers suck if you’re a timber caller you’re always getting chips shot at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this something you're going to be buying?

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to buy or make a better/larger chip deflector? I'll make you one and only charge you $80. That will save you about 1/2. Okay?

Is this something you're going to be buying?

Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to buy or make a better/larger chip deflector? I'll make you one and only charge you $80. That will save you about 1/2. Okay?

Didn’t say I would be buying one all I said was the chip management is a joke on these saws for falling there’s nothing like getting a face full of chips well using the clutch side to sight in a face. What would be best is the manufactures quit listening to the firewood community and actually focus on the users that made them into what they are now.

Okay.... Cause I thought your were saying that this WCS clutch cover was a good product for it's chip deflection. I still say if that is the problem, then buy a better rubber chip deflector.

For what it is worth (I know you find some reason to disagree) I did buy a larger chip deflector for the ms461, and did see an improvement, but there were still chip hitting me. Solution is keep your exposed skin away from the chip exhaust and wear protection (like chaps) if it is still a problem.

Just do what this guy did and save yourself a ton of money. I saw an 056 with this setup too, just get a piece of inner tube or leather, some rivets, and viola! You now have a wide discharge cover!
cb4eb32add6e0f634e1a66decaebc1e5.jpg

In some ways yes it is, the 500’s and 462 clutch covers suck if you’re a timber caller you’re always getting chips shot at you.

I thought there are two versions of cover, the regular and the extended length with longer chip deflector. maybe a chip bagger side cover option is needed?

Fallers have been fabricating "extended" chip deflectors ever since the chainsaw was invented! As Skeans stated, there is no question that the clutch covers, even the "R" models, could be improved! If you watch the WCS video, their cover appears to be better at deflecting chips. I'm not ready to buy one yet, but I'll be listening to the reports from those who do!

I too wondered what aluminum offered over the original magnesium part.

Also, it should be anodized or powder coated, it looks unfinished. Even tumbled with a clear ano?

And it did need captive nuts.

They say wider, better for chips and stronger. I don't know enough about these Stihl saws to know if that is a market needing improvement.
Props to anyone for designing and bringing a product to market though!

I too wondered what aluminum offered over the original magnesium part.
Ever machine magnesium? That's what aluminum offers...the people making this part don't need a special suppression system and cutting fluid in their machine to machine it.

Form over function baby! Instagram followers will eat it up

Latest posts

Back