is this woodstove any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chimney cement, or stove cement will seal gaps without the permanence or variability of welding.

Plenty of products available near the woodburner displays in most stores.

It went white because you BIL overfired the bejeezus out of it.
Wrong on that one. Like I said in the my previous post, i have the same stove. The paint turned white the first time we burned it. We started a very small fire to break in the stove according to the instructions, and the whole house filled with smoke. The stove turned white within an hour with a very low fire.
cheap paint! After I repainted it with some good quality paint, we havent had a problem since,even when running wide open with hickory.

Wrong on that one. Like I said in the my previous post, i have the same stove. The paint turned white the first time we burned it. We started a very small fire to break in the stove according to the instructions, and the whole house filled with smoke. The stove turned white within an hour with a very low fire.
cheap paint! After I repainted it with some good quality paint, we havent had a problem since,even when running wide open with hickory.

Bingo. That's exactly the same story my BIL told me.:cheers:

Do you have a stove thermometer? What temps are you seeing? If you are running it wide open burning hickory (assuming it is seasoned) you are most likely overfiring your stove.

Do you have a stove thermometer? What temps are you seeing? If you are running it wide open burning hickory (assuming it is seasoned) you are most likely overfiring your stove.
I dont have a stove thermometer, but I would expect to burn some paint off when running wide open while stocked with hickory. After I repainted it with some good paint, I havent had any problems with the paint turning white. The orginal stuff was junk.

I have bought all my stoves out of "Uncle Henry's", the local swap and trade magazine here. You can get a better quality stove for around the price you are talking.

+1 Me too Moss Man. Always some good deals in there on high quality stoves for decent money. Plenty of Vermont Castings, Jotuls, even a few soapstones in there last month. I'd rather go used but better quality too.:cheers:

I dont have a stove thermometer, but I would expect to burn some paint off when running wide open while stocked with hickory. After I repainted it with some good paint, I havent had any problems with the paint turning white. The orginal stuff was junk.

Avalancher, I am just trying to keep you from a troublesome situation. A $10 magnetic thermometer would be a nice purchase. Your stovetop temps should
stay below 750 to help preserve the integrity of the stove (prevent warpage, etc.).

Thats good to know, I'm sure glad I fired mine up outside. The paints used on them are quite toxic to breath. The stuff I find to repaint them with is extremely caustic and has ample warnings to use gloves.

If I burn off the bacon fat smeared on the door I know it is time to close it off, some more.

+1 Me too Moss Man. Always some good deals in there on high quality stoves for decent money. Plenty of Vermont Castings, Jotuls, even a few soapstones in there last month. I'd rather go used but better quality too.:cheers:

Another thing Uncle Henry's has been loaded with lately is wood cookstoves of the antique variety....not sure why. I wonder if insurance companies are cracking down on them or people just don't want them anymore.

Latest posts

Back