Is your heating season over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we have burned a total of 4.5 cords for this heating season which will end on the 15th of april. the propane can take over from there as needed with the thermo set at 65degs. still in the proccess of cleaning uparound the stock piles of wood that was sold over the winter with about 1/3rd cord of freebies to finish out the season.. hope everyone has a better spring and summer to follow!!

i would say "no". i got a fire in the fireplace today.

since al-gore declared "global-warming" we have had some kind of fire going since September 09! and this is the sunny warm south!:chainsaw:

The woodpile is just about gone but the need to burn is still here. Not hard core every day but at least get one going at night to keep the chill off the morning wake up. Almost burned my yearly average of 3 1/2 cords but I have some semi dryish stuff I can burn if I need to and get me through.

Currently on roughly a fire every other night. This pattern could continue well into May, depends what old Ma Nature throws at us. It was a very mild fall, miserably cold winter, and so far an early and warm spring here.

Wood use should be about average overall, pretty close to 8 full cords heating a drafty 2200 sq ft.

Warmer weather has the early bird farmers out in the fields doing tillage, making up for what the very wet fall prevented. Generally, alfalfa seeding is about 2 weeks off yet, and corn/bean planting gets going full bore about April 20th. The dry spring has me leary of burning some brush piles. I'll wait patiently for a big rain or green in the pastures.

Not done yet here. We had a couple nice weeks where we went a couple days at a time with no fire, but its back to cold temps again. I'd like to be done burning within the next couple weeks .

today was the second time I've been out splitting thinking this ought to get us through the season! mother nature thought otherwise. 16 deg F this morning!

I'd like to be done burning. But it's been snowing on and off all day today.
I guess I'll just hope that what little wood I have left lasts till it warms up a little.

Andy

Bout done here, fire every other day, was tilling my garden this morning and there forecasting 70's later in the week to come... very dry and the fire hazards are increasing, lottsa grass fires this last week so watch your ash and coals!!

Not Burning. It's still a bit frigid in the mornings but we are seeing upper 60's on the nice days and I guess a lot of the trees think we are going in to spring as well as most are budding and leafing out. Mild winter but we get those from time to time, after last winter I am not surprised.

Save the Short Pieces!

I woke up to the upper 20's and even had ice in the back of my truck. Has anyone let there fire die out for the season?

No. I have the wood stove burning right now. Sometimes I get lazy and forget to light it. That's my error. Usually the heating season in Nebraska runs through April.

And, I'm collecting short pieces for backyard campfires. I love marshmallows and weenies.

Not quite yet. Thinking the end of the week though. The stacks are dwindling and the weatherman is calling for 70's Thursday and Friday, seems like as good a time as any.

Not quite yet. Thinking the end of the week though. The stacks are dwindling and the weatherman is calling for 70's Thursday and Friday, seems like as good a time as any.
Hard to believe. Capron, IL is in Northeastern Illinois. Seems like winters lasted longer than that when I lived 40 miles southwest of there.

Does anyone remember April 15, 1987?

Its been off and on here for the past 3 weeks. We'll go a couple of days without a fire then have one for a night or two. Yesterday and today we've had a small fire on all day. According to the long term forecast (whatever its worth) we should finish burning for the season this week.

It was 18* yesterday but 30* this morning. Not doneyet and might burn about 1/3 cord. I have burned wood as late as May 18 and as early as August 25. I could easily be burning a month from now.

Still burning the OWB...probably till 1st of May, even if we don't need the heat still takes care of my dhw needs.

Latest posts

Back