Is your heating season over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never a month without some burning here. A lesser kind of climate than Mt Washington, up the road from WoodB in NH. The summit will have snow every month, no exceptions. For us in Downeast Maine, a summer rain or fog will get to the 40's F.

We did Winter Mountaineering and Snow Shelter workshops for the AMC(Appalachian Moutain Club) on Mt Washington. Temps at the base camp at Pinkham Notch were often 30-50 degrees warmer than the upper ravines or summit, winter or summer. New students (adults) often couldn't understand why their gear had to be checked before climbing up for the night.

A nice ride in summer is the Mt Washington Auto Road, or the Cog Railway. WoodB knows all about these....ask.

Growing up, our big vacation for many years was Bar Harbor. Hunters Beach in Arcadia is still one of my fave spots. No sand. It's all oceansmoothe stone. One year, me and my brother dug down 3 feet - no sand...just more stones. That was about 25 years ago.

Last clear day we had, the summit of Mt. Washington was still covered in snow. Some of the most extreme weather on earth is up there.

Balmy day:
d44bdbbaa.jpg

A bit chillier on some days
watermark.html

Kitty cat
SnowCat_IngaMO.jpg

And yes, the Cog Railway is an awesome experience. I know the family that owns it. They recently sold the Mt. W Grand Resort Hotel but retained ownership of one of the Granite State's premier attractions in the Cog.

The guy who built the railroad was pretty interesting. Want to say his name was Sylvester Marsh. Around the time of the Civil War, he petitioned the General Court in Concord to build the RR. They basically laughed him off...but did grant him approval. The idea was so absurd to the lawmakers, they granted him permission to build a RR to the moon. Honest to goodness true story. Marsh did stop building at the summit, however.

Here's the Frankenstein Trestle
nh660.JPEG

Jacob's Ladder
Mt_Washington1920s.jpg

The railpath as seen from afar
Cog%20RailwayPath.jpg

Meh.....

That Nasty Manitou always gets a last shot in....after lulling people into not paying attention.

Go ahead, put the snow blower away, take the plow off the truck and plant the garden early.LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Funny that. I spent about 10 seconds looking at the snowblower last night. Had a passing notion to run down the gas and put her away. But there's a passage in ole Murphy's legal primer that pursuaded me to hold off.

Last night was first night I haven't had a fire since oct.
its been going almost non stop except for a few clean outs.

Its gotten unseasonably WARM here in NORTHEN Mich.
it hit 76 yesterday and I think its going to get even warmer today
and tomorrow..

Its freaking crazy....its going to stunt all buds on the plants.....
around here....well see

I burn a few maple splits every night as it still gets below freezing overnight. Last year I was burning in June... We will see this year.

....still burning in north central Mn.
Our lakes are just loosing their ice.
Last weekend on the US/Candian border...
DSC00166.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

Watch this...

Last edited:
G
Funny that. I spent about 10 seconds looking at the snowblower last night. Had a passing notion to run down the gas and put her away. But there's a passage in ole Murphy's legal primer that pursuaded me to hold off.

I put away the snow shovels last Sunday and sure enough we had a light dusting of snow on the ground Monday morning. My wife called it when she saw me move the shovels... and blamed me for the snow.

still burning here. fire on every single day.
at least a good 15 hours a day and the house is still freezing in the morning.
hope it gets better soon or i will have to start burning the furniture :laugh:

One would think that living in Arizona you wouldn't have to burn would from early October to April (late April sometimes into May) every year. So far I've only burned about two and a half chords but figure I will have burned three when I'm done. Of course living at just under 7000' above sea level doesn't help.

We have not had a fire since Monday. We have set record high temps yesterday and are looking to do the same for today. But I'm sure that the temps will be dipping and we will be building some small hot fires.

We had the Napoleon burning pretty much non-stop since October. We went through 3 cords of mixed hardwoods. I am not complaining either-- at our old farmhouse we would burn 3 times that much! I don't miss the old house!

Still burning. Have some wood I need to burn that probably wont be so good next winter. Still cold weather to come?

Hit the switch this morning.I've had enough,if I had waited until 4/6 it would have been exactly half a year of burning.

Im going to keep burning til 5/1 .I got a bunch of knarly crotched wood yet,that doesnt stack at all,i wanna burn up,and I hate to hear that oil burner run,it just kills me....

Hit the switch this morning.I've had enough,if I had waited until 4/6 it would have been exactly half a year of burning.

Im going to keep burning til 5/1 .I got a bunch of knarly crotched wood yet,that doesnt stack at all,i wanna burn up,and I hate to hear that oil burner run,it just kills me....

Don have no stinkin switch....no stinkin oil burner neither.

Latest posts

Back