is your wood pricing viable, with increased fuel cost's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry fellas, I don't see how sellin firewoood by weight would work.

I was talkin to some guys about this thread, and asked them about sellin by weight, and they just like I, laughed. I understand it's a legal means. But seems it would be real easy to lie about it. Are the customers gonna be at the scale house when it's weighed? Are you really gonna carry scales with you? how would the customer know if it's calibrated right? If it's pourin rain, then what???

Does anyone know what a 5% moisture increase would weigh, for a ton of red oak? Or wouldn't it make that much difference?

Sorry, that seems like that would be a royal pain....Help me understand :confused2:

ok here it is for ya, you live in coal country right?
so do you buy coal by the cord?
do you buy feed for animals by the ton or by the bushel?
are you feeling it yet? i suppose you would rather buy corn by the kernel????

Selling cord wood by weight has to be about the dumbest concept that I have come across on this site. Not practical for buyer or seller. Its hard enough to try and explain what a cord is and isn't to customers let alone argue about how much a cord of wood should weigh. - get real guys !

Good chance he buys his hay by the bale.

I don't get what all the ball busting over weight v. volume is here -- it's more convenient for most people to sell firewood by volume, most areas don't have ready access to public scales, and even if you weigh consumers would still need to assess the quality of what they're buying -- a cord of green red oak weighs about the same as a cord of green cotton wood.

If life was perfect, we wouldn't buy gasoline or any other fuel by the gallon or any other measure based solely on volume or weight -- we'd buy all fuels priced by the therm (100,000 BTUs), and pumps would adjust the volume delivered based on the quality of the fuel as seasonal differences and such change the energy content per BTU.

seriously though,what the heck makes the difference anyhow? ton or cord? you are selling to people who buy a bundle for five bucks at the quiky mart...
as if they know they are buying green or seasoned????
most customer get burned and still don't have a clue what they want.
for some of us selling by the ton is legit, for others the cord is the only way they can count to 2000 lbs..:msp_w00t:

ok here it is for ya, you live in coal country right?
so do you buy coal by the cord?
are you feeling it yet? i suppose you would rather buy corn by the kernel????
Actually I'm just east of the coal belt. Timber is king here.

I don't buy coal , but I would buy by the ton, that makes sense.

Of course by the ton.

Feeling what?

But, those places have scales at the distributor. And like I've stated TWICE NOW. That I'd have over a hundred miles logged in to deliver wood 8 miles...:dizzy::dizzy:

Check out the link to virginias firewood laws. My profits are good. And my customers are happy..

So what do you guys sell a ton of seasoned, split, firewood for?

fire wood

Actually I'm just east of the coal belt. Timber is king here.

I don't buy coal , but I would buy by the ton, that makes sense.

Of course by the ton.

Feeling what?

But, those places have scales at the distributor. And like I've stated TWICE NOW. That I'd have over a hundred miles logged in to deliver wood 8 miles...:dizzy::dizzy:

Check out the link to virginias firewood laws. My profits are good. And my customers are happy..

So what do you guys sell a ton of seasoned, split, firewood for?

Around here its anywhere from $185+ plus fuel tax depending the seller and completely on the log supply and the mills.

If your at all interested you can purchase digital a high lift pallet scale which can be certified by the wieghts and measures office with no issues to eliminate the need to travel to a platform scale as the pallet jack scale can be rolled around on a good concrete slab and left there while being used.

In order to improve the fire wood anyone sells there is one viable option to consider, which is a Chomper Firewood Processor splitting logs and long rounds to 12 inch lengths making 4 face cords per cord for the wood buyer.

The sheared firewood drys faster and the 12 inch length allows for faster wood splitting cycles.

If one desired to do so they could use a band saw mill to process thier firewood and have even less loss from sawdust but a second band saw would be required to saw the wood to length and the wood could be stacked tightly BUT it would not dry well unless it is stickered while stacking.

It would be easy to set up the mill for a 4 by 4 inch block cut 4 feet long using a logwood band saw, stack it in a cord with stickers and then cut it to length for the customer at the time of the order and then deliver the blocks for them to stack.

The left over slabs could be sold as kindling or simply added back to the net cord volume.

more to consider on dry rain free day.

Last edited:
yep around here $185-195.00 a ton is average.. doesn't matter if its
cut off's blocks slabs or split...most around here aren't too picky....
we sell by the cord or ton or 1/2 ton what ever they want.
most grain elevators around here will give weight slips, and farmers buying wood like the ton, they just are used to dealing with the elevators..so many differences between sellers by the cord..some over some under, face short cords etc. to each there own.. what works for one may not for another..:bang::bang:

Back