isa better or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got cetified last summer and plan on going to a oak wilt siminar to get oak wilt certiefied this summer, once you are a CA then it opens up a lot of doors,like classes and siminars the ISA puts on just for CA's, like the oakwilt siminars, and it gives the industry a standard, like electricians,pipefitters, etc, most municiple tree contracts require a CA on site,not just on staff, I work seasonal for Aspen Tree service and they have about 12 CA and one BCMA who is also a Regestered Consulting Arborist , and we learn from each other, and I wouldnt have been concidered for them with out the CA,
Plus it did me good to study up on some thing, and the "we're having brush pickup next week can you come mutilate our trees" calls dont come near as often. plus it sounds good, and makes me accountable. and raises your clientel level .
There are about 300 tree services listed in and around Bexar Co TX and only 68 CA's and only 2 BCMA's so I hope it sets us apart (in a Good way) but then again the others are still in buisness, I cringe every time I drive around San Antonio at the tree mutilation here.
Paul,

It's as if you've read my post.

You ought to practice body thrusting, its as basic a climbing move as there is.

Skipping the basics is no way to the top.

EVERY arborist knows how to body thrust and if your training doesn't cover it you're getting bad training.[/QUOTE]

yeah and we have an in house expert... treeclimber101 wrote a book on it, ask him he will give you a copy.

The Cert. (certified arborist) has been watered down over the years....very watered down! Now will it make you more money? Yes & NO

I say that because, if you are doing day to day tree care then it wont really bring you in any more of income than what you`re already making, However....you may find that during the slow season the credential can be used for insurance claims (storms, car damages tree(s), etc) & the fact that alot of municipalities/boro`s/twp`s want/have to have a certified Arb on sight or performing tree care in their towns (im sure this was a lobbying effort on ISA`s part)

The Cert hasnt hurt me, but it hasnt really provided me with a whole lot either, as was said in an earlier post, that wasnt my intentions when going for the Cert! I can attest to this though: I was employed where the Arb cert was required through the local utility along with many other certs (LCTT, pest/herb license, GIS, etc...) when it came time for layoff it was a matter of money & all these Certs didnt mean squat..........I suffered a short layoff cause they chose a 25-26yr old with less than 6mnths experience in the arboriculture field & only had a pest/herb license, he was chosen over me cause his hourly rate was much lower & the contractor could make more money by him filling the spot over me!!!!

So while the Certs may get you a better pay rate here & there! in some instances that can hurt you.

good luck,

LXT...............

This industry is practically unregulated in most states. All you have to do is pass a simple test to set yourself a part from the competition. If your not making more money as a certified arborist, you aren't selling yourself right. You should be the customers highest bid most of the time and the ones that like to pay for quality are your customers. I offer a better service then 95% of the competition in my area, so ya I charge more and make more then them.

isa

This industry is practically unregulated in most states. All you have to do is pass a simple test to set yourself a part from the competition. If your not making more money as a certified arborist, you aren't selling yourself right. You should be the customeros highest bid most of the time and the ones that like to pay for quality are your customers. I offer a better service then 95% of the competition in my area, so ya I charge more and make more then them.

I like the way you hustle

This industry is practically unregulated in most states. All you have to do is pass a simple test to set yourself a part from the competition. If your not making more money as a certified arborist, you aren't selling yourself right. You should be the customers highest bid most of the time and the ones that like to pay for quality are your customers. I offer a better service then 95% of the competition in my area, so ya I charge more and make more then them.

I agree on the unregulated part, However..........it depends on your area in regards to the cert, where I live prior to having my Cert I would take work off those who were certified (Bartlett/Davey reps) & local guys, I would bid higher even, why did I get those jobs, cause I came across more professional & also knew what I was talking about.

The Cert is a good thing dont get me wrong, but... a 25yr vet in this trade will crush a 26yr old with knowledge & has much more experience in sales, there is selling yourself, there is selling the job, there is selling them on price, experience, equipment, reputation, etc.... 9 times outta 10 the home owner will never ask if you`re a certified arborist & if you are cheaper & carry insurance, well thats what really sells the job!

I do agree with what you`re saying, its just that area dictates alot along with skill & many other things!

Good luck,

LXT...................

Juicemang is right! Even my granny can be a certified arborist if she'll take the test and passed it. Would you hire somebody with years of experience in tree service - but not a certified arborist, or a certified one but doesn't have experience at all? Anybody can be a certified arborist if you'll think about it - but not everybody can be a good tree climber - it takes years of hands on experience to become one...

Juicemang is right! Even my granny can be a certified arborist if she'll take the test and passed it. Would you hire somebody with years of experience in tree service - but not a certified arborist, or a certified one but doesn't have experience at all? Anybody can be a certified arborist if you'll think about it - but not everybody can be a good tree climber - it takes years of hands on experience to become one...

If you are National Tree out of Alabama I am familiar with your company... And workers.

Howdy. I had one of your groundy's come work for me for a spell while I was in Birmingham doing storm work. Decent kid but had a lot of family stuff going on. He came to work for me after he left you guys.

I have family in Birmingham and went there to work over the Summer. I'm still getting calls from there.

Still doing storm work?

I see...storm jobs are scarce at this time, but regular tree jobs are abundant. By the way, I apologize when I responded earlier thinking it was for juicemang. So tree md, what state are you operating your business?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Oklahoma.

I just went to Alabama to help family and friends with storm damage... That was the plan anyway. I ended up staying 6 months and had to leave with the phone still ringing. I had missed the first month of bow season here but was not about to miss my whole deer season due to work. ;)

Master Arborist Certification and Exams

Hi All,

Anyone took up the above certification and went through the exams?

How is the exams structure like? Similar to CA exams? Because the registration for the exams is quite steep.

Is the exams worth to take? If the Tree ID is based on USA/Canada, we tend to be less advantage since we are living in equator area.

Pls advice.

Back