It pains me to watch...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, reading all these posts about burning green wood is making me question my choice to go with an OWB for our new house when we get it done. I've been scrounging a boatload of wood, and have 3 different tree services that call whenever they take anything down so I can haul away all the suitable firewood. Can anyone tell me is the creosote issue as much of an issue with a gasifier OWB? I've been looking at the Crown Royal OWB gasifiers. I don't plan to burn any green wood as much as I can help it.

We most likely won't have the house done out on our land until the end of next summer, but I feel I have a pretty good head start on my firewood. I'm thinking I have probably 15 full cords of rounds waiting to be split and I figure by the time winter hits here in ND I'll be pushing the 30 cord mark. The local landfill makes any tree services separate out rounds/logs from the mulch/chippings so that anyone in town that wants firewood can easily come in and get it. Luckily I'm pretty much the only person in the area that is coming to get it. a couple weeks ago I hauled out 5 16' gooseneck dump trailer loads. Now this week I have 2 different tree services taking down a bunch of trees that I'll haul away the logs from. One of them is taking down a big old oak tree that I will saw as much as possible into lumber. The others are cottonwood (not the best for burning but it will do) and there will be a lot of it.

Wow, reading all these posts about burning green wood is making me question my choice to go with an OWB for our new house when we get it done. I've been scrounging a boatload of wood, and have 3 different tree services that call whenever they take anything down so I can haul away all the suitable firewood. Can anyone tell me is the creosote issue as much of an issue with a gasifier OWB? I've been looking at the Crown Royal OWB gasifiers. I don't plan to burn any green wood as much as I can help it.

We most likely won't have the house done out on our land until the end of next summer, but I feel I have a pretty good head start on my firewood. I'm thinking I have probably 15 full cords of rounds waiting to be split and I figure by the time winter hits here in ND I'll be pushing the 30 cord mark. The local landfill makes any tree services separate out rounds/logs from the mulch/chippings so that anyone in town that wants firewood can easily come in and get it. Luckily I'm pretty much the only person in the area that is coming to get it. a couple weeks ago I hauled out 5 16' gooseneck dump trailer loads. Now this week I have 2 different tree services taking down a bunch of trees that I'll haul away the logs from. One of them is taking down a big old oak tree that I will saw as much as possible into lumber. The others are cottonwood (not the best for burning but it will do) and there will be a lot of it.
I do not know about that exact Crown Royal OWB, but went from and indoor furnace to a OWB and would never go back. Never have given it a second thought. Mostly Red oak is what I burn, has seasoned at least 3+ years, neighbor stopped over and asked why I had not started it yet? It's been burning for over 2 weeks now, well seasoned wood, raking and removing ash, (you want to see bottom once a week), no rain water in stove, seal it off well when not in use, water treatment and inline water filter are all part of making it last.

Well, I certainly think green wood is less than optimal, but I burn mostly oak and dont have to season it more than a year. I do split it a little smaller and it helps dry faster. I’ll check it was a moisture meter by splitting it and checking inside a few pieces. Maybe it’s because it because of where I live.

Latest posts

Back