It started...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sherrill, New York (WSYR-TV) – Police are On The Lookout for a thief who stole hundreds of dollars worth of heating oil from a home in the Oneida County city of Sherrill.

Police believe the person or persons siphoned the oil in the middle of the night, while everyone was asleep.

”It was almost like it was unheard of,” says Katie Campanella, whose home was targeted.

The mess outside Campanella's home was a sign that someone siphoned a decent amount of fuel from her heating tank overnight.

”We're not in the habit of checking the oil tank routinely at this time of year,” she says.

So she and her husband went downstairs to the basement to check it out. A few seconds later, they noticed the difference: A quarter of a tank was missing – at least 70 gallons.

“We were really angry; it's a lot of money. It’s probably around $300-$400 that we're going to have to replace for fuel oil for the winter,” Katie says.

It’s an unexpected cost they weren't prepared for. Even when the tank is refilled, it will only last them a couple of months.

Sherrill police said Katie’s home was the only home targeted in the city. Officers figure someone took a hose, put it down the valve and sucked up the oil.

Katie and her husband plan on purchasing a lock for their valve, so no one steals their fuel again.

If you live in the Sherrill area and know anything about the theft, or think your tank may have also been targeted by thieves, call Sherrill police at 363-6221.

It's amazing it doesn't happen more often, especially to the folks with exterior tanks.

Then again, I've always kind of assumed it was like firewood... it's not all that easy to carry off any substantial amount under most circumstances.

Just think, its only October. Makes a guy wonder what its going to be like in Dec-March.

you would think that oil companies that cared about their customers would tell them that they should have locks on their fill caps... oh wait... then they couldn't sell more oil when somebody stole some... never mind....
I have (2) 275 gal diesel tanks-off road dyed LS .. ( which is the same as heating oil.. now to ge to them they have to know they are there abd drive past the house and other buildings and a dog. but I am taking no chances... they are locked. but a fat lot of goo that will do to a determined thief... all tey gotta so is take a pipe wrench and unscrew the fill cap or the vent and they can siphon to their hears content or just cut the line to the generator and siphon away. I guess to stop a determined thief is hard.. but locks will make it more difficult.
Wait till they start to figure out how to steal propane... well I guess they could just take the tank... but a 1000 gallon tank and a 500 gal tank is a little hard to handle...

couple of stories for this thread.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7577340.stm totaly F*&king mad!! :angry2:

2. A year or so back, ordered 1000ltrs heating oil, was told that it would be delivered next day. so next day check the tank after work no oil. thinks well will be here tomorrow. same again. phone the company. Guy says yup oil is there, but it ain't so he comes out and say's to me, yeah we even had to fill you via the vent cause of the lock on the filler cap. I Don’t have a lock.... they had filled the neighbours tank, next to ours. easy mistake. next day guys come back to swap the oil over with a pump. took next to no time. Anyway point is, tanks can be locked, but how do you lock the Vent? and a small elect pump will empty a tank in no time. all you need is PU and a holding tank!

wow Sherrill's not to far from me and that's got to be one of the safest communities around...ya never hear of anything happening in Sherrill. 70gal would weigh about 560 lbs so a truck with a couple of 55gal drums would be worth checking out.

HUH, reminds me a bit of the CIS Miami I saw the other night. Guy in a truck pulling an enclosed trailer pulls into a gas station, stops with the trailer over top the fuel tank acces hole in the ground. Pops his hood on the truck acting like there is a problem. Another guy in the trailer opens a port in the bottom of the trailer and pops open the acces hole and pumps several hundred gallons out of the underground storage tank into the tank in the enclosed trailer!

Wait till they start to figure out how to steal propane... well I guess they could just take the tank... but a 1000 gallon tank and a 500 gal tank is a little hard to handle...

They'll have to deal with my arsenal before they dig up my 1000 gallon tank!!
AR15firing.gif
2gunsfiring_v1.gif

The last few years we have had guys coming into farms, larger cash crop farms and stealing gas & diesel out of the fuel tanks of the field trucks. The guys I'm affiliated with were hit a number of times and the thieves were finally caught, but not until we and 5 other farms were hit about 6 times. They used a 250 gal drum mounted in the box of a pickup with multiple 12 volt transfer pumps. They would ease in about 2am park between a couple trucks, drop in some hoses and leave in about 15 min or so. :rant: They even had 400 pallets stolen during the day on a Sunday when no one was around. Thats ballsy if you ask me. Never did find out who did that.

like the copper thieves that are stealing the wire and motors off farmers center pivot irrigation systems... they should be strung up from the tower of one for all to see.

They'll have to deal with my arsenal before they dig up my 1000 gallon tank!!
AR15firing.gif
2gunsfiring_v1.gif

mine are not buried... I have a 1000gal, a 500gal and (2) 420 pound tanks that I pay for... and I also have (6) 1000 gal tanks that the poultry company I raise for pays for.

Latest posts

Back