It's a little chilly this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering why my truck started a little slow this morning, minus -17f
it's cold out here in N.W. Wisconsin. Of course it was 76 in my house, but quite a shocker going outside. Good thing I threw about 7 days worth of wood down in the basement yesterday. I won't say this often but I'm glad I have work today, it's to damn cold to go ice fishing.

Last edited:
I see the northern part of my state, Mn, hit -30 this morning. Only dipped to -12 here in the central part of Mn. I hope it warms up for the weekend, I'm going up north and I dont really need -20's. The moon is full now and in my book that means chilly winter nights.

Seems like we dropped to 13 the other morning and that was cold enough for this early in the year in Southern Kansas. Theres a little bit of a warming trend coming but then it's back down to the teens here again. Yip, -17*F , that's cold, lets has you know Winter has set in to stay a while.

Yep, it's chilly all right. House at 71 deg. boiler down to just a few coals and water temp at 110. Shop stat is pegged cold. It's going to take awhile to get back up to temp. The good news is that tonite it's only going to drop to 15 above so hurray for the heat wave!

I'm going to go cut some wood.

I see the northern part of my state, Mn, hit -30 this morning. Only dipped to -12 here in the central part of Mn. I hope it warms up for the weekend, I'm going up north and I dont really need -20's. The moon is full now and in my book that means chilly winter nights.

Yea I know it gets pretty cold up there in Frostbite Falls, MN
If I didn't have kids in school I would go south for the winter.

Man, I cant even imagine temps like that, 17 below?Wow.
Its been going up and down here, one day its 50 degrees out with a low of 40, the next its down to 38 during the day and 15 at night.
the coldest weather I have ever lived in was Chicago many moons ago. I was stationed at the Naval base a few miles north of it, and thought it was cold there when it hit 5 degrees.
BBBBRRRRRRRR

It was a balmy 0* this morning when I put the oatmeal on the stove.

Cold is when the nostril hairs freeze before I get from the house to the truck.

Hiya, that be me :dizzy:

Lost power last night too, for about 5 hours, everything was off INCLUDING my OWB :mad: House was 75 going to bed last night then only 68 this morning getting up :monkey:

The rain finally stopped here, but the wind is kicken. It is a bit warmer here @ 40 deg. Freezing cold rain for days ( wish it was snow) Colder tomorrow so think snow !!! Lake affect snow keeps missing us.

For air temp's like that I have an expedition weight down parka with down insulated hood. I've been up on Mount Washington in -30, blowing 20 and I was toasty warm.

Synthetic insulation, despite all its merits, still can't hold a candle to the weight to insulation ratio of down. Simply amazing stuff.

For air temp's like that I have an expedition weight down parka with down insulated hood. I've been up on Mount Washington in -30, blowing 20 and I was toasty warm.

Synthetic insulation, despite all its merits, still can't hold a candle to the weight to insulation ratio of down. Simply amazing stuff.

+1 down is toasty warm, but the second you get it wet, you might as well have jumped in an icy river

woke up this morning and the water was frozen, it was -35 c last nite wich is -31f, too freaking cold for me, water line was a line that was touching my foundation under thr crawl space. easy fix thawed with a heat gun and put a pyro line on it.

My first house after I got married had a crawl space and I used to deal with frozen water pipes all the time. The wife sure didn't like it when she got in the shower in the morning and no water. There I would be at 7:00 in the morning under the house with a propane torch. We didn't live there too long.

+1 down is toasty warm, but the second you get it wet, you might as well have jumped in an icy river

Right... which is why you only wear it when there's no chance water will be in the liquid state. I'd get too hot in it otherwise anyway.

This makes me remember trimming for Michigan p&l
on shoreline drive too cold for a southern boy burrrr
but I got used to it. It was -50 one mourning and
the boss said we would have to take turns trimming
fifteen minutes a turn that was the coldest I ever
endured. The wind does not stop off that dern lake
and one day it was warm like 6 degrees and I looked
out at the trucks driving on the froze part of the lake
and seen these guys and gals in swimming gear get
out run in a hut tent and jump into a hole in the ice!
I don't want no part of the Eskimo club thwts!@

It was still -9f at 11 am. Here's the thing though, it's suppose to be over 30f by Saturday and Sunday. The fourwheeler wouldn't start this morning without the battery charger and had to put the splitter in the heated shop. Good weather for making wood, gotta go dump a deer with the muzzleloader too! I love Wisconsin.

Back