It's a little chilly this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-33C (-27F) here this morning.

Warm enough to know that the diesel was going to fire up so no worries here (it was plugged in all night). :D

This weather should hold all weekend so I'll probably go for a drive scouting for firewood. I picked up my firewood permit this week so even though I won't have the trailer I will have my chainsaw and may fill up the truck since I'll be out there anyway.

The good thing about winter is that I can drive into more places (at least until the snow builds up too much).

Yeah but

I see the northern part of my state, Mn, hit -30 this morning. Only dipped to -12 here in the central part of Mn. I hope it warms up for the weekend, I'm going up north and I dont really need -20's. The moon is full now and in my book that means chilly winter nights.

I agree the cold is not too fun but there is something about going out on a still, full moon night with clear skies and super-frigid air. I like hanging out in the silence, watching the shadows from my breath billow across the snow and joining the fast-moving shadows of the stove smoke. Hearing the clank of a Bobcat at the shop three miles away, carrying across the cold, still fields like it was ten feet away. Listening to the snowy crunch of the dogs chasing each other around the yard. Finding the constellations and seeing how long it takes to count satellites, jumping a little when the POP of an ember in the stove is loud enough to be heard through the door damper. Sometimes bringing a shot of peppermint schnapps in the jacket pocket and feeling that cool rush of breath on the inhale. Feeling the satisfying stiffness of my breath condensing on my beard, then huffing and puffing a little more so when I go inside the kids can laugh at Dad's snowmonster appearance.

And last but not least, the simple satisfaction that despite the heavy, icy grip of this winter night, I am going back into the warmth of a house that is so because of my labor, not a far-off oil well.

And last but not least, the simple satisfaction that despite the heavy, icy grip of this winter night, I am going back into the warmth of a house that is so because of my labor, not a far-off oil well.
Certainly NOT least! Remember, it's doesn't matter how big the boat is as long as you are the captain.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back