It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backyard Adventure

Saturday the gf, dogs, and I decided to go for a little trip in and around our neighborhood.

First stop: Van Zandt Dike in Acme, WA (~ 12 miles from home) This is about 9300 acres of State Trust Land. A couple of Hemlock clear cuts and beautiful meadows.

Too bad I didn't have my camera 2 weeks ago when there were pink blooms covering the clear-cut areas. I don't know what they are called so if someone more knowledgable wants to chime in I'd appreciate it

One of said clear-cut areas. Look close enough and you can see the pink I am talking about
zvq6wz.png

GF and one of our dogs walking up the logging road
xckoed.png

Stand of Hemlocks. Notice some :censored: left target garbage on burn pile :angry:
24vqvyp.png

I think I'm looking south here
25aqn42.png

The view if you were falling this Hemlock
hwzecn.png

Some community / farms about half-way down (gives you an idea of how high up we were)
eo9ci.png

To be continued...

En route to an old-growth stand along Mt. Baker Highway we stopped roadside to take a picture of the area leading to Nooksack Falls

Weather is starting to get a little nicer :D
ou1wme.png

I wish I could add a .wav of the sound of the river / falls and some how upload the smell of Douglas Fir so you could realize how truly amazing this was
14vgvgw.png

This area is in the neighborhood of ~30 miles from home.

2ntz6hg.png

2dl3eyw.png

5lup28.png

de facto standard for old-growth evergreen photographs ;)
358tqut.png

ps, I'm 6'5" so that gives you an idea of the diameter of that tree!

more on the way....

again, I'm 6'5" tall. gf didn't think posing with a poulan chainsaw was as funny as i did so here with dogs instead...
30ts29s.png

wonder how long this hang-up will last?
25015as.png

another big tree. just realized cleopatra looks possessed in every picture...
359lqab.png

here's a nice one of cleo
2euh7v5.png

Last edited:
no wedge necessary. btw, tree on the left is ~3 feet dbh
2sbvqko.png

sweet pea & sultan excited about who knows what
15n0rab.png

Shuksan

~2 miles from the old growth stand is a park with amazing views of Mt. Shuksan.

too bad it was a little cloudy up there :(
34o8s1t.png

another view. nooksack river btw
2v9w4lc.png

for some reason i was drawn to this meadow atop this mountain (behind me when I was taking the above 2 pics)
2gtwxt5.png

the funny thing about the nooksack river is that the hotter the outside temperature, the colder the water seems to be.

north fork is a LOT colder than the south fork. south fork is swimmable, north fork; not so much. Van Zandt Dike is where this river forks.

it was 80'ish degrees so we decided to go wading in the nooksack this day. That was plenty cold. Reminds me of the time i went up to mount rainier one july and jumped in the glacial river. have not jumped in one since...

down by the river. no van.
160otae.png

it doesn't look like it but the water gets to ~10 feet here. CRYSTAL CLEAR

GREAT PICS....

Pink = Epilobium.... "fireweed"...

Sweet Pea... I'm aquainted.. barely... seems to like dogs more than people ;)

What is it with that pic site you link to... sooooo slow......

Last edited:
TinyPic is hit or miss. I uploaded to one place so that I could share with others and realize now I should've stuck with Flickr.

Yeah, sweet pea likes dogs more than men. Don't take it personal; she can't even really stand me!

That's when you go to another place to see what's in someone elses backyard, but it's less than yours, costs a lot more, and you come home so tired you need to take a few days off to recover.

You guys are killing me here, my computer/connection can't handle all the pictures,:dizzy: but------------ I agree, the pink stuff is Fireweed. Its common up here.

Latest posts

Back