It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got back from se texas and you guys have no idea how happy i am to be back in the pnw.

the tallest tree i saw down there was probably 50 feet. :(

sad thing is, couldn't count how many people either burn or "throw away" oak trees. by "throw away" i mean haul to the curb and have the city come and pick it up to take to the dump. by burn I mean burn pile in the back yard because there is no real use for it seeing as how it barely breaks 60 during the winter.

just got back from se texas and you guys have no idea how happy i am to be back in the pnw.

the tallest tree i saw down there was probably 50 feet. :(

sad thing is, couldn't count how many people either burn or "throw away" oak trees. by "throw away" i mean haul to the curb and have the city come and pick it up to take to the dump. by burn I mean burn pile in the back yard because there is no real use for it seeing as how it barely breaks 60 during the winter.

Well,,, Sorry I missed you where were you visiting?????? depends on where you went,,,, there are some 70 -110 foot old (turn of the century) stuff in my yard,,, there are a lot of people who burn too much,,,:cry: :cry: :dizzy: I burned about three cords in the last winter though,,,, most people are too lazy to mess with wood heat,,,,,, you gotta remember we are at Lat 30*,,, so I get excited when I get to build a fire in the fireplace,,,,,

Quite a difference between there and Sedro Woolley,,,, Latitude wise,,,,,,

Last edited:
Well,,, Sorry I missed you where were you visiting?????? depends on where you went,,,,

I flew into Austin and then drove to Beaumont (Jefferson County). Was going to head over to Village Mills to play golf at Wildwood but didn't want to get stranded due to mandatory hurricane evacuation.

Ended up staying in Beaumont for one night and then turning right around and driving 4 more hours to Austin.

Wow when you were in Beaumont you were 25 mi. from my house,,, wish I had known you were coming,,,,,, I'd have shown you around and cooked some Bar-B-Q or cajun seafood, or took you on a guided fishing trip....

Next time you are coming give me a heads up ahead of time,,,

The storm barely missed us thank God,,,, we had some gale force winds and some rain but thats about it,,,,

Last edited:
Wow when you were in Beaumont you were 25 mi. from my house,,, wish I had known you were coming,,,,,, I'd have shown you around and cooked some Bar-B-Q or cajun seafood, or took you on a guided fishing trip....

Next time you are coming give me a heads up ahead of time,,,

The storm barely missed us,,,, thank God,,,, we had some gale force winds and some rain but thats about it,,,,

Dang, he could have visited us both..........

Hey pals. I will look you both up next time I'm in TX. This trip was VERY last minute.

I know there are some bigger trees up around Lumberton & Village Mills. If memory serves correct, the Big Thicket National Preserves boasts some pretty large pine trees.

The PNW has tall, older growth evergreens but the the oaks, pecans, and magnolias in SE TX are beautiful in their own right.

The oaks on some of those TX golf courses can :censored: themselves as they were the root of some non-par scores! Miss the fairway by 2 yards and the oaks will get you every time. It doesn't matter if you hit a 320 yard drive!!

Still shot 79 at the Palms @ Pleasure Island ;)

So your PNW doesn't include Alaska huh? Figures, Y'all couldn't hang up here anyway:buttkick:

EDIT You know if you Texans keep running your mouth we'll cut Alaska in half and make you the third largest state!

Last edited:
Actually, its worse than you might think. The Natives, who hold significant portions of land can do whatever they want (No really), so to balance things out the forest service is pretty conservative.
Also very little of our reprod has roads in it, so its hard to get anything done between the EPA and the cost of roads up here.

Of course we can get along. We're doing it right now. :popcorn:

And yeah, I guess I am pretty free, no permits needed to do anything. Cut down trees (as long as their yours), harvest dead trees (yours or the state's), build houses.
Heck there's no state property tax, some town have one, but I don't live in a town:clap:

For the record my 056 isn't running right so I am using a little 28" bar on my 575xp, rather than the 36" like a real man should.:)

I just bought the XP recently:clap: but I haven't bought a long bar for it yet.:cry: I don't even have a spare chain yet:cry:

So your PNW doesn't include Alaska huh? Figures, Y'all couldn't hang up here anyway:buttkick:

EDIT You know if you Texans keep running your mouth we'll cut Alaska in half and make you the third largest state!

We have several Texans on here who are honorary PNW people. If they chose to, they could become permanent PNW people...they're that good.

Can't say much about Alaska people...most of them are too busy running down other states and being defensive about their own. But, that could be just the impression I get from the few that I've met. And worked with. And lived with. :)

Almost got ya new Nova Bob!!!!,,,,, whoever hits ya next will givit to ya.... unless it's a :newbie: LOLOL!!!!!!

I'd like to make it to Alaska someday,,,

I have a cousin that was up there for years at a Coast Guard Station,,,

Maybe some day!!!

:hmm3grin2orange: No problem. There's a lot to talk about in Alaska. I was in Ketchikan one time and the mosquitoes were so big they had red and green position lights and filed flight plans.

Thats what he said,,,,, big Mosquitos!!!!!!

Last edited:
People don't seem to understand that trees don't live forever, and new
ones can be grown (even a 1,000 year old tree isn't irreplaceable - it
just takes a long time to replace it).

and I remember reading that new trees are better at removing carbon from the air than old ones... wood is truly renewable. yeah its nice to protect some big specimens but we need to manage the wood and uses it as the green resource it is... ( my God .. did I just talk green...acck... I need to go cut a tree LOL):dizzy:

When having to go to the city for "training" I usually hang out with the Alaskans. They know how to have fun, except they don't like to go eat seafood, and get a little carried away about the Starbucks on every corner.
But other than that, they're a fun bunch.

Latest posts

Back