It's always the easy ones

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldugly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After 35 years of climbing, with some of the most make-shift equipment, self-taught techniques (some good, some bad) doing some of the "roughest" removals...the easy one got me. Simple removal, last cut, easy cut and push a block of wood. Cut too far into the tree, checked my dropzone, resumed the cut..the bottom kicked out of the log, and came crashing down on my hand. Hand was caught between the spar and the log, a couple of fractures, some 50 stitches, it looks like it will be awhile before I can use my hand again. I was very fortunate in that it could have been alot worse....just a reminder to all the pros and newbies alike...never underestimate any tree, or any simple cut...it's the "easy" ones that will screw you every time.

Holy crap! Sorry to hear that. Hope ya heal fast! 50 Stitches............got pics? Gotta be nasty. Your right, they all can bite.

These threads always make me think, I thank you guys for posting them and hope like hell I won't have to write one. Tree MD has me wearing my chaps while dropping trunks now, I always wore them bucking but never even thought about it coming out and biting while flush cutting. Hope you heal well and thank you again.

The pain of the injury was not nearly as bad as the hit my wallet is going to take while I am in recovery mode. I do have a pic of the injury, however it is kind of gross and I have never uploaded a pic on this site, so I didn't think it proper or prudent to try.

it is still unclear the amount of usage i will regain in that hand...but I am going to be laid up for at least 6 weeks, doctors say more reasonable expectation would be 8 to 10.

Hate to hear it man, hope all goes well for ya, Shiz, I got hurt (not as bad) on one of the easiest jobs Trimming Palms :bang:
but it was the ladder that failed, really out of my control.

Hang in there

OldUgly, sorry to hear about your injury. Suggest you learn how to fingerpick the guitar, excellent therapy for either hand.

Tough break! The accident takes a second and the results can last forever. I also have been doing this for many years and am lucky so far, but there have definintly been one or two close calls. This business is all about paying attention at all times. It's kind of like riding a motorcycle; it's not hard but you have to pay attention. Lucky you still have your hand. When you recover, get right back up on the horse as they say - and pay attention always.

Sorry for you injury, thanks for sharing that over time the numbers will stack up against us until the books get balanced.
35 years climbing cutting trees is good record be grateful about that. In years I'm close behind ya n as yet untouched too hard, that means "by Our Lady in hell" I got a a ledger full of grief a waiting.

Sorry to hear about your accident. We think nothing of firing up the chainsaw and start cutting, it's almost too easy we take things for granted. This is dangerous work anyone who says different is out of touch. I'm an electrician, a few years back I almost had my face blown off working in a 480volt control panel. I've been doing troubleshooting for 35 years, You get comfortable sometimes too comfortable.

I have a Husky 372XP and a 345 I always treat them with respect but sometimes things just happen.

These days I think more about what I'm doing what is my exit plan, pick up loose tools
and wood etc. cause I know if the sh_t hits the fan I need to be ready.

Consider this your wake up call !

Take care hope all goes well. Kap

treetom...fingerpicking is great therapy...and i love playing guitar...but i think that might be done for at least awhile.
Thank you all for the good wishes.

I posted this to let people know its not the hard or even the dangerous trees rhat get you...you always treat those with caution...its rhe easy ones when you become just a little complacent that nails ya.

It always hits home hearing about another climber getting hurt. Glad it wasn't worse and hope ya heal up quick man.

Just saw this one. Sorry to hear that bud. As you have already mentioned, complacency is our worst enemy. I've got a few stories I could tell of pretty good friends who got messed up making that last cut of the day... And usually on Friday.

I got my hand pinned by a small top a few years back. No real damage but it hurt like hell and I had an imprint of a carabiner in the top of my hand for a week. Took me a few to get my hand unpinned as well.

The older I get the more I take PPE seriously. As has been mentioned I cut my knee about a month ago flush cutting a stump. Although I have never been the biggest safety guy, chaps and helmet will be in my regiment every day now.

Hope you get well soon.

An easy one, and the last cut. The odds were stacked against you. Tough old tree guys heal fast though. Thanks for reminding us were mortal. Get better soon.

tree md
yup it was actually on a friday, also. First tree of the day but the last tree on a big job. As was stated before though I really got no complaints...35 years + without a serious injury, I have had more than my share of good luck, and God's blessings.
btw...love the quote in your signature line. its just a subteranean homesick blues state of mind. LOL

Back