It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like that saw needs the squish cut.
Why would I want to go and mess with what already works very well? Both compression and port timing are right where I like them. I see no advantage to cutting the squishband in this case. This saw isn't like a 660 that needs the exhaust port lowered. I'm very pleased with how these saws are turning out.

Just messing with you Bradley.

I'm not liking the intake after any machine work, popup, or cut squish.

You seem to think the same timing numbers work well in every saw......I don't see it that way.

We just have different ideas about what a real world work saw is I suppose.

Peace?

Any options for an alternate piston with a longer skirt?

Adding to the skirt would be a great thing from where I see things.......but would it hold up?????

At this time some filler in the intake is the only solution I'm seeing.

Adding to the skirt would be a great thing from where I see things.......but would it hold up?????

I wasn't implying welding it up...possible but you need an expert on the TIG. Then some machine work, potentially destroy the piston during either process.

You will know soon enough how the filled jug performs with a shorter intake duration. If it works, no reason you couldn't look for a piston from a different saw that would swap? If you could find something with more skirt length or more compression height, or both, you will have a lot more to work with. Selling the OEM piston would recoup some/all of the cost.

Are these 661s using a 54mm or 56mm bore?

56mm......

But the piston is pretty "different".

I'm looking at a 395XP piston now......

I think the 395 piston might just work.

Brad, if I get this intake timing down some.......you be eating my dust again.

:laugh:

You seem to think the same timing numbers work well in every saw......I don't see it that way.

We just have different ideas about what a real world work saw is I suppose.

Peace?
Not the case at all. Where did you get that idea? There are saws that I would never use a low intake. Others respond very favorably. Some saws love a short blowdown, others not do much. I look at every saw as an individual. I actually cut the squishband and a 660. IMHO, most saws don't need it. In those cases, AFAIC, it's simply a matter of personal preference and build style.

56mm......

But the piston is pretty "different".

Understood.

I'm looking at a 395XP piston now......

Right on! I like pushing the envelope...any problem can be solved, it is just finding the best solution.

Is the wrist pin 13mm? 56mm is a popular dirt bike bore for the 123cc bikes. The 2100 used a 56mm bore, too I think. And the 056 mag2.

I think the 395 piston might just work.

Brad, if I get this intake timing down some.......you be eating my dust again.

:laugh:
That would be cool. However, I'm not seeing this universal rule of 40° of primary compression. I've seen too many saws that run stronger when breaking that rule. Others run best like that. I just don't see trying to apply it universally. Again, every saw is an entity unto itself, and built accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back