It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it. It's a long read, but it details the step by step process of how I came to mod the 261 like I do to this day.
That was a pretty messed up thread. I just skipped everyone else's posts except yours. My favorite part was the before and after pictures of the strato to non-strato ports. The little "face" in the ports went from :) to :msp_scared:

Just out of curiosity...What was the "fuel economy" impact of the mods?

Are you gonna de-strato the m-tronic brad?

I'd frankly like to see how it (1.) runs before mod's (2.) run's after porting w'out de-strato-ing first.

IMHO, it's not worth your money to port, if not gutting the strato. If you followed my original 261 build thread, the saw was a disappointment with mods, until I gutted the strato. Yes, gains were made, but not to my liking. I'll tighten the squish, mod the muffler, and advance the ignition on a 261 for a reasonable price, but I won't port one unless it goes all the way.

This 261C will be tested:
1. Stock
2. Muffler modded
3. Squish tightened
4. Timing advanced (This saw might not like the timing advanced)
5. Full porting, w/strato gutted.

Now we are talking..something to hold us over till u get that baby ported:rock:. I am not sure the m tronic will fuel it enough to run with ur regular ported 261. I ran one of those and that thing was bad news:rock: for such a small saw. It cut through 18" would like a big saw:rock:

I tested setup #4 when I built LowVolt's saw. IIRC, it was good for 20% over stock. It makes for a nice running saw. The squish is really loose on these. Hopefully Rory will come along and correct my figure above.

What am I, your friggin secretary? This is your video.........

[video=youtube;z5DVUptVHCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5DVUptVHCY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

IMHO, it's not worth your money to port, if not gutting the strato. If you followed my original 261 build thread, the saw was a disappointment with mods, until I gutted the strato. Yes, gains were made, but not to my liking. I'll tighten the squish, mod the muffler, and advance the ignition on a 261 for a reasonable price, but I won't port one unless it goes all the way.

This 261C will be tested:
1. Stock
2. Muffler modded
3. Squish tightened
4. Timing advanced (This saw might not like the timing advanced)
5. Full porting, w/strato gutted.

Another hit or miss with timing huh lol? I tried my timing advance on my 441 you re-did and you were right it runs better in the stock posistion lol

Back