It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the 4 cuts I made with this new MS261, I'm getting an average of 1.93 seconds. That's within a couple hundredths of Rory's saw, actually a tick faster. However, I made all 4 cuts for best cut times, not dogging it in, or letting it rev to show the powerband. I'll take consistency like that:)

Great thread ! I'm in need of a new saw and had decided on the 261 until I heard about the 261C coming out so I've waited... I'm not in a huge hurry while I cut wood but do like some power..

After looking at the stock time between the two saws I wonder if I should just pick up a standard 261. It looks like the MM'd 261C does great but is a MM something that
can be done in the garage ? I like the idea of a fuel efficient, etc.. saw but.... Sorry if this is a newb question..but I'm a newb.. :msp_biggrin:

The MS261C carb cannot feed enough fuel for the mods I make to these saws. I have to feather the throttle to even get it to try to rev up.

<snip>

It's hard to consider this a failure though. The saw runs fantastic, nearly like a ported saw, with only Stage 1 mods. You the operator, get a saw that uses less fuel, makes less fumes, and costs you less to mod.
I think the video you meant to embed there was this one:

[video=youtube;Uho54iTSXmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uho54iTSXmU[/video]

The MS261C carb cannot feed enough fuel for the mods I make to these saws. I have to feather the throttle to even get it to try to rev up.

It's hard to consider this a failure though. The saw runs fantastic, nearly like a ported saw, with only Stage 1 mods. You the operator, get a saw that uses less fuel, makes less fumes, and costs you less to mod.

I like that stage 1 idea. But you're going to have to mate up a 441cm carb next in order to satisfy the "power elite" on the board. (Never thought I'd use that term in relation to chainsaws...)

There is also a third option: Do the maximum amount of porting that the carb will fuel, leaving the strato intact. The way it responded to just a MM and compression bump, there might be good gains to be had from a less aggressive porting.

But if not...there's going to be a mad dash by guys on here to snap up every available 261 so that they can have it uber-ported later.

Brad if you are attending the poulan gtg. Please bring anything to do with the 261 for me to run. Stock, muffler modded, ported, carbed, autotuned etc. Dont matter. Just want to run the 261. :rock:

I need to be there big time to deliver a couple saws, so will be there barring a act of God. :msp_ohmy:

Great thread ! I'm in need of a new saw and had decided on the 261 until I heard about the 261C coming out so I've waited... I'm not in a huge hurry while I cut wood but do like some power..

After looking at the stock time between the two saws I wonder if I should just pick up a standard 261. It looks like the MM'd 261C does great but is a MM something that
can be done in the garage ? I like the idea of a fuel efficient, etc.. saw but.... Sorry if this is a newb question..but I'm a newb.. :msp_biggrin:
Fellow noob here. From what I've researched, a muffler mod is very much an "in your garage" mod with just a dremel and a hand drill. Of course, there are higher levels of muffler mod to attain, as Brad showed in this thread with his stock looking louvers. I'd love to know how that's done, but I probably don't have the necessary tools.

Just do some "advanced search" for "muffler mod" and search titles only. You'll find lots of threads.

Worst case scenario is that you take off your muffler and mail it to Brad or someone else to have ported, slap it back on your 261C for a nice power gain and never have to worry about tuning your saw. :)

Lol. I'm not going there:) My comment was simply that a ported 261 is a very strong saw.

I wasn't "stirring the pot" or trying to pit one builder against another. I have never ran a ported 261...just a stock 026 pro. Im just saying that Danny builds a SUPER strong 346 that feels like a flyweight 70cc stock saw.

Can a 441 system (carb) plug in there?
Not even remotely feasable. The 441 has a two barrel carb. There are essentially two intake boots on the 441. One feeds the fuel laden air, and the other the pure air.

You can disregaurd the stock MS261C cut times. That knot totally messed those up. Yes, a muffler mod is easy if you have the tools to do it.

Do the maximum amount of porting that the carb will fuel, leaving the strato intact. The way it responded to just a MM and compression bump, there might be good gains to be had from a less aggressive porting.
Been there tried that. Sure gains can be made, but not enough to make it worth your money. I considered doing a mild traditional porting to this cylinder, but I already did that with the standard MS261. There's no point in doing it again. If I don't get the improvements I expect, I simply won't sell it. I've proven that I can make a regular MS261 into a monster, but those mods are simply too much for this saw to fuel.

As of now, I will mod your MS261 or MS261C with "Stage 1 mods" for $125, including return shipping. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better value. I will continue to port regular MS261s as I always have.

Brad if you are attending the poulan gtg. Please bring anything to do with the 261 for me to run. Stock, muffler modded, ported, carbed, autotuned etc. Dont matter. Just want to run the 261. :rock:

I need to be there big time to deliver a couple saws, so will be there barring a act of God. :msp_ohmy:

The only way that I'll have a 261 at that time, is if one is here to mod. Maybe LowVolt will be able to attend. He does have a new baby coming soon though.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I have a new 2253 (550XP) headed this way:) I'm trying to leave enough of this cant to get it in on the comparison.

Please do Brad, very interested in 550-261c comparo.

Sent from my iPhone guaranteeing nothing.

Please do Brad, very interested in 550-261c comparo.

Sorry finished thread and now see that the saw can't handle mods. Very thankful for the Bad Azz standard 261 you did for me!!

I also wonder if there is a software issue with the fueling of the full ported saw. I don't know squat about how the saw senses and corrects for variations and tunes itself. but it seems reasonable that could be the issue. Are we at the stage when chainsaw hot rodders need to do a mind meld with computer nerds??:laugh:

I also wonder if there is a software issue with the fueling of the full ported saw. I don't know squat about how the saw senses and corrects for variations and tunes itself. but it seems reasonable that could be the issue. Are we at the stage when chainsaw hot rodders need to do a mind meld with computer nerds??:laugh:

First, you got the same video up there twice.

Second. Is the fuel delivery problem hardware or software related? Never thought I would say that talking about chainsaw....

I am also wondering the same thing. I asked the question a few posts back and it got lost in the shuffle.

Maybe young can crack the m-tronic code and get us some more fuel.

Sorry finished thread and now see that the saw can't handle mods. Very thankful for the Bad Azz standard 261 you did for me!!

It handles the significant gains the Stage 1 mods gave it. Those gains are very real. It just can't handle the radical mod of gutting the strato. It could probably handle some more traditional porting. However, I didn't find the gains I wanted with traditional porting. I'll try to find those vids.

Latest posts

Back