It's not a chainsaw, but it's a small engine related question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a gas hedger, Craftsman 636.796670. It needs a coil. It should run just fine if I can find one, since I cleaned the carb and it has good compression, and the on-off switch does work. Craftsman no longer has the coil for it (although they have probably a hundred parts for it that neither I nor anybody else probably would ever need lol). I've looked in several places to try and get a new old stock coil, or even a good used one, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So the question is, since most of you work on small engines a lot, is there somewhere you can recommend I look that I haven't thought of? Or is this maybe a universal coil that other manufacturers might also use that I could cross-reference?

I know I can get a new hedger for not that much money, but I hate to throw this one out because I can't find a stupid coil lol. Honestly I found it easier to get parts for my Mac than for this little thing.

Sears is not a manufacturer, outside vendors supply their products. In this case 636 indicates that Echo was the manufacturer. I do not know what Echo model your Sears model will cross over to, but a local Echo dealer may be able to help.

Yeah I knew that Sears doesn't make most of their own stuff (like batteries for instance). I will try the Echo dealer route. I have the coil in hand, so in theory it should be easy right?

The coil says SEC on it and it has something that looks like a drawing of sunshine with a J in the middle.

Update: after pursuing the echo dealer route and having them tell me the part is not in the database, I did a bit more web research and somehow discovered that the engine is made by Robin-Subaru. And I did find the coil but they want an arm and a leg for it. Apparently this thing also has a magneto -- anybody have any advice on how to test it? I understand it's supposed to make electricity but that's about all I know lol.

Latest posts

Back