Its raining all over my firewoo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
stupid hurricane leftovers been soaking my mighty pile all friggin day and night. :cry: i was gonna bring some wood in the cellar too but i got friggin poison ivy all over me. well i still got 2 months or so for it to dry i guess lol.

stupid hurricane leftovers been soaking my mighty pile all friggin day and night. :cry: i was gonna bring some wood in the cellar too but i got friggin poison ivy all over me. well i still got 2 months or so for it to dry i guess lol.

Not to worry. Per the 'old wives tale' if you wet your wood, it dries faster. That much rain your woodpile is probably powder dry already ;)

Harry K

What happened with the woodshed? I remember you having a thread about cheap woodshed construction ideas. I take it you haven't got that project started yet.

Not to worry about the wood. Plenty of time left. A month or two is more than enough time.

They don't sell tarps out there ?

Been raining here off-n-on since last weekend. I keep it stacked on pallets and tarped with just a couple of inches hanging over the side to make an eave. The ends darken up nicely and the middle of the stack stays good-n-dry. Been wet enough I havent tried to get back out to some I left for the next trip.

When i saw the weatherman saying we could get a couple inches of rain per hour, i went down to the local Tractor Supply and bught a new tarp. At least two thirds of my pile was covered by a tarp with no holes !!

Some free advice from ole Ductape, for those of us that are on a budget :

Go down to the local lumber yard and make friends with the guys that work in the yard. My FIL has a man on the inside, and the guy NEATLY removes the plastic tarps that cover the lumber when its trucked there. The guy neatly folds them up and gives them to my FIL when he stops in there. They are light duty, and won't take alot of abuse, but the price is right !! :biggrinbounce2: We use them to cover our pile of split wood before its stacked.... the splitter ...... you name it ! Credit to my Father-in-law on this one.

To keep the tarps over my wood, i recycle plastig jugs like the ones my Arizona iced tea comes in...... or milk jugs. Just fill them a quarter full (filling them will split the jugs when the water freezes) with water and zip tie them through the handle and the eyelet on the tarp.

At least 2/3 of my wood pile stayed dry last night...... looks like i have a few leaks in my old tarp over the other part of my pile. No surprise, since it rained so hard with the leftovers from the hurricane......... i actually thought that by midnight, my house might float off it's foundation !! :cry:

wood001-3.jpg

i got most of the wood coverew with a tarp. the stuff thats not even close to seasoned isnt covered. but theres no way ill need it this year anyway.

on the wood shed im still waiting on my sisters boyfriend to get his ass up here to help :)

Not to worry. Per the 'old wives tale' if you wet your wood, it dries faster.

I don't think this is an old wives tale. I've been gathering/splitting/heating for almost ten years (though the woodstove is only 7) and IMO, uncovered wood dries quicker.

Stack your wood with the bark side up and really not that much rain will soak into the wood, most of the rain just runs off it anyway. It's not like you are holding the wood under water with a brick on top of it. I guess if it is going to rain for days on end covering the top of the stacked wood doesn't hurt. Unless you have no ventilation a little rain doesn't hurt it. Another thing splitting it doesn't help it dry as much as cutting it into shorter lengths does. If you need it to dry quick cut it in 12 inch lengths.

Last edited:
Buy a tarp from these guys and you will be all set. Pointonepremiums.com the sell old billboard signs as tarps

I got one to cover my wood this year and it is nice and dry under their.

SS

I don't think this is an old wives tale. I've been gathering/splitting/heating for almost ten years (though the woodstove is only 7) and IMO, uncovered wood dries quicker.

There is a difference between 'wetting' the wood deliberately and sstacking it so it will dry. The old wives tale involves deliberately wetting down the pile.

No argument that sstacking or piling so air can move through it is the most effective way to dry it.

Harry K

cruzer, those look like a good bang for the buck. Have you put any grommets in yours? How have they held up? Thanks!

I leave my pile wide open until just before the leaves start to fall then i just cover the top. Make sure to cover before leaves start to fall though last year I was lazy and I was draggin in leaves up until may:buttkick: :buttkick:

boostnut- I have only had the tarp a few weeks and have not made any mods to it yet. My wood pile is about 12ft wide and 24ft long so I just kept the tarp folded in half and put it over the wood. The tarp weighs 75lbs easy and i tossed a couple 3x4s i have on top and it has been holding up fine. I was going to cut 14ft off one end and get some tarp tape and attach it to the side. This would give me a 24 by 34 tarp. Then add some gromets and be good to go. I still may go this route but for now it is working ok.

I was at the Job Lot(overstock or ckoseout type store) they sell both blue and green tarps. A 20x40 green tarp was 65 bucks. The tarp I have is a much heavier duty.

SS

cruzer, those look like a good bang for the buck. Have you put any grommets in yours? How have they held up? Thanks!

Back