Oops, Ran over my 400.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have a MS661 that the front crankcase is broken on the oil cap side. Dropped , run over, don't know.
So, I quoted three hours labor and the crank case half.
But, it is a gamble any time you get in to this type thing because there are often things broken that you can't see.
I refer to them as the gifts that keep on giving.
If you like piddling with the things then dig in to it. If you make money with a saw let somebody else dig in to it.
That is my line of thinking as well. If its a company owned money making machine it is a tax write off for the saw itself and any repair required, most business owners only want a functioning machine but few are set up for carrying out repair , if one is handy and has time then go for it, no harm if one can pull it off for a few dolLars less. Don`t jack it up though, if one needs to take it in to get jacked up / messed up repair work corrected then the price goes up really high. The old addage of, if you want to watch me repair your stuff then that`s time and a half, if you want to help me then the price doubles.

Good luck with the repair, it will be cool to see pictures before, during and after. So long as you’ve factored at least twice what you think it will cost, you’ll be fairly safe - as mentioned by a few of us, the damage you think has happened is only 50% of the story, there is a high likelihood that there is more extensive damage, especially on modern saws that are built notoriously flimsy with thin magnesium castings and light / weak parts.

That’s not bagging on stihl, it’s a product of its time and consumer demands. You run over a stihl 07 from the 50’s and your truck will get more damage than the saw!

(Exaggerating but you get my point).
Where was this post in the "older saw/durable engine" thread?

lol

Back