Oops, Ran over my 400.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the damage is only what you said, I'd fix the brake and cover and get a new bar and run it.

This. Worst that can happen is it doesn't last as long. Most likely is it runs fine for many many years, and during that time will be a constant reminder to put your saws away from vehicles that might run it over.

My 461 was put away safely and my neighbor still was able to run it over. I had put it behind a very large log, thinking it was safe. Neighbor ran over the log, or hit it, and the log rolled into the saw. Minor damage, but it goes to show that elsewhere but in the garage on a rack, there is no safe place to put a saw when it comes to vehicles that seek out saws to destroy.

If it’s a tool for work, replace it. If it’s something you can tinker with and it interests you, then go for it. As Pioneerguy600 said, there can be so much more damage than meets the eye. You’d need to p&v test it, strip every bit back / off and replace damaged parts. You’ll quickly find it’s not worth it both in time and expense, especially when it stops working half way through a job. Sell it to the guy who said he’s pay $150+ shipping and get it out of your hair. Your time taking bits apart to sell on eBay will bite you too. Time wasters, refund requests, photographs, shipping items. I’d suggest you take this as a loss.

I remember one saw being brought in that the owner claimed it only got bumped lightly and just the top handlebar got bent some. That saw ended up costing about half of what a new one would cost out the door. Upon closer inspection the top cover had the cylinder fins imprinted into it, the cylinder was broke about 3/4 the way around the cyl base , just a couple top fins bent somewhat, the chain bar was twisted a good bit and upon removal both bar studs had been pulled out some and the bar pad cracked through and through into the oil tank. Thr fuel tank was split where the top handle attached on the right rear side, when I called the owner he couldn`t believe there was that much damage so I had him come in and see for himself , all damage was documented in pics as the saw was disassembled part by part. After looking it over he still wanted it repaired with all new OEM parts. The saw was bought new at the dealership I was working at the time, the owner of that shop would not do any mechanical rebuilds due to not wanting to guarantee repairs, the saw owner remembered I was working there when he bought the saw so he approached me to rebuild it.

Well sure. But this is the AS Chainsaw forum.

Doesn't everybody here come here for advice on how to fix it themselves?

My first stihl saw I owned was a ms290 I got off a guy who owned a tree service. Saw was brand new, and a new guy dropped it out of a tree about 50ft up. I fixed it up with oem ebay parts. The only thing I didn't replace, was the cracked gas tank. I prepped the tank. Sanded a groove in the crack, and jb welded it. Still going strong to this day. 💪
People might disagree with the jb weld.... but it's all in the preparation. 🙂

Hello, everyone. I Just did something very stupid. I let a new worker use my stihl 400 in the wood lot. He left it in the weeds beside the woodpile. I went to hook up the chipper that evening after dark, and slowly drove over the bar. Something didn't feel right, so I backed up, turning. The dump truck tire smashed the chain brake, the bar, 3 cooling fins, and the chain and sprocket cover. Thankfully, the saw still runs. What Now!? I've got a stihl 391 I could use for parts, but am not sure what is interchangeable. Any advice? Is there a good place to get parts saws? Chainsaw parts? What is the longterm effect of the fins being broken? I'd better get the saw fixed, or a replacement, it was the boy's favorite. And I want to keep the worker, he is conscientious and smart, really it's my falt for driving that close to the wood pile. Thanks in advance
M. Kulp
Sell it now right here. Bet a guy who builds Stihls will give you good money for it still running. I used to buy them and always kept the broken fin cylinders for myself. I could care less about fins or fixed plastics and tank handles.

Can't sell most of the broken ones of them anyway. AV and case damages 90% of the time, flywheel cracks or bent. Once the intake system or ignition is also hurt its over. The last one I bought from PA was fixed after being hit. They still missed the cracked AM clutch cover. It had cracks in the case, very tiny, drilled them to end them. I'm still running it but I wanted a carbed 362 to play with anyway. The seller was a tinkerer who fixed it for his neighbor. It got hit by something that mashed plenty they replaced but two missing fins in the worst spot. It hasn't had any issues but got benched once for a dirty fuel filter. No big deal there. One AV spring is still bent but bent to hold the bar up 😀

Thanks to all of y'all for your advice. I've priced new parts, and think I'll fix the broken parts and run the saw as long as I can. I enjoy tinkering with saws, and if anyone has a parts 400 or possibly a 362 (Some parts are interchangeable, right?) let me know how much you'd sell it for.
It's amazing the saw didn't get flattened. The dump truck was about to run over some firewood chunks, so I turned and backed up. I had driven over the bar, and when I turned, the tire scrubbed the chain brake handle. Our texas dirt is rock hard right now, so stuff got bent.
That was after a full day, 10pm. pitch black. Lesson learned.
Who is fired now?
I am. I got an offer to deliver for a rental yard at 1,000 a week starting. Their trucks even have AC.
At least it's tempting since I have my CDL. This thing of running your own business is STRESSFUL. Fun and rewarding too.

...................My 461 was put away safely and my neighbor still was able to run it over. I had put it behind a very large log, thinking it was safe. Neighbor ran over the log, or hit it, and the log rolled into the saw. Minor damage, but it goes to show that elsewhere but in the garage on a rack, there is no safe place to put a saw when it comes to vehicles that seek out saws to destroy.
Aw heck did ya fix it with tape. Lord knows you love tape.

Good luck with the repair, it will be cool to see pictures before, during and after. So long as you’ve factored at least twice what you think it will cost, you’ll be fairly safe - as mentioned by a few of us, the damage you think has happened is only 50% of the story, there is a high likelihood that there is more extensive damage, especially on modern saws that are built notoriously flimsy with thin magnesium castings and light / weak parts.

That’s not bagging on stihl, it’s a product of its time and consumer demands. You run over a stihl 07 from the 50’s and your truck will get more damage than the saw!

(Exaggerating but you get my point).

Hello, everyone. I Just did something very stupid. I let a new worker use my stihl 400 in the wood lot. He left it in the weeds beside the woodpile. I went to hook up the chipper that evening after dark, and slowly drove over the bar. Something didn't feel right, so I backed up, turning. The dump truck tire smashed the chain brake, the bar, 3 cooling fins, and the chain and sprocket cover. Thankfully, the saw still runs. What Now!? I've got a stihl 391 I could use for parts, but am not sure what is interchangeable. Any advice? Is there a good place to get parts saws? Chainsaw parts? What is the longterm effect of the fins being broken? I'd better get the saw fixed, or a replacement, it was the boy's favorite. And I want to keep the worker, he is conscientious and smart, really it's my falt for driving that close to the wood pile. Thanks in advance
M. Kulp
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Well, I have a MS661 that the front crankcase is broken on the oil cap side. Dropped , run over, don't know.
So, I quoted three hours labor and the crank case half.
But, it is a gamble any time you get in to this type thing because there are often things broken that you can't see.
I refer to them as the gifts that keep on giving.
If you like piddling with the things then dig in to it. If you make money with a saw let somebody else dig in to it.

Back