It's soooo nice to be heating with wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is. When we first moved out here the oil delivery truck came once a month during the winter months (usually 5) and once during the summer. Only see them twice a year now, and that's just to top off the tank.

73° in our house is called to hot. Spend most of the winter with the door open, just the storm door closed. Been doing this for about 35 yrs, ever since electricity went above 9 mills. Love wood heat, good place to dry your gloves. :D

Heating with wood spoils you. When we have people over for the first time, they can't believe how warm we can keep our house, with wood heat.
A lot of them have traditional masonry fire places that suck the heat out of the house.

My temp usually stays about 79-80 and for some reason the bedroom is always about 5 degrees cooler so it works out almost perfectly for sleeping. Gas furnace hasnt kicked on once this winter, mostly cause i have it shut off :)
Yeah, wood heat rocks!

Ive had the owb heating my house, dhw and garage since october and my thermostat is set at 74. The last week we have also had a fire in the inside Vermont Castings wood stove and its a great feeling warmth. Looks nice to

-2 here this morning, I loaded the stove about an hour ago. I would like to say it was still 73 in here this morning but it wasn't. It was still warm enough though, 68. It's still nice not having the mess in the house and not hearing the oil furnace kick on.

My wife, kids and I love the wood stove. The air moves through my house great because of two stairways that allow the warm air up one stairway and cold down the other. There's usually no more than a two or three degree difference in the whole house. 74 deg is the comfy level I shoot for. There's nothing better than spending the aftwernoon with the kids playing in the snow then coming inside to sit around the warm stove. The only dislike I have with wood burning is when I fall asleep on the couch and wake up to a stove that needs stocked at 11:00 or later.

At 73° I figure I overloaded the firebox... I bring the house up to 71-72° first thing in the morning so it ain't "chilly" for everyone climbin' out'a bed, runnin' around half-dressed, gettin' ready for school, work and whatnot. After all the mornin' hoopla we keep it 'round 69-70° during the day until after supper, then let it cool off into mid-60's. Heck, I live in long-johns from Thanksgiving 'till Easter... I'm outside so much that it's just easier to always have 'em on. I roll-out a couple hours before anyone else so even if the house is down 'round 60° I'm plenty warm in long-johns while I get things a-warmin' up. I partially block-off the vent in the bedroom so it runs 5-6° cooler than the rest of the house... when I rolled-out this mornin' it was 62° in the bedroom, 67° in the "living" areas. Usually it's even cooler than that, but we've got a bit of a warm spell for a day or two... a balmy 28° outside this mornin'.

But, I will say, there are those times... like on a really "wintery" night after I've been outside in a cold wind most of the day... stuff the firebox full, take a hot shower, pour a tall grass of whiskey, and let that firebox eat until it's 75° in here‼

Yes indeed. We'll - hopefully - never go back to electric or propane heat. The SheWolf loves her wood heat... 73 inside suits her just fine.

Was out cutting yesterday, took a break. Watched the propane and oil trucks going by on the road. Somebody's gonna get a big, fat fuel bill but it won't be us. :)

I sure love the wood heat too! My whole family enjoy it! My big
buck can eat up some wood... but it sure puts out the heat! Our house temp swings from 65 and no fire during the day to 80 with a good hot fire. Bedrooms stay just right for sleeping too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our house is usually 76 to 80, 73 feels cool. We have found to keep our bedroom cooler than the rest of the house for sleeping, we need to keep the door open only a couple inches; we can keep the bedroom more like 70 and the rest of the house 80. It was still about 75 in here at wake up and about 15 and snow outside.

My wood furnace was the best addition to our house. We went from over 100 gal or oil a month with thermostat at 65, now we only use about 160 a year for the hot water. My install paid for itself in the first winter.

Hopefully next year or shortly there after I will be heating with wood. My wife is against a wood stove or insert. Makes the room to hot and doesn't want the kids to get burned, so we are going to most likely get a OWB. I know the pay back is about 4-5 years with a OWB at current prices, but when oil prices continue to rise, I'll be saving alot of $ even if I have to buy wood once in a while.

Latest posts

Back