I've been ebay'd

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas1

sodium pentothal
Reaction score
floating down the river of tears that gushes forth
I had a Makita 6401 that ran great, didn't get a video of it before listing it on ebay. It sells, I ship, he receives. A week later he sends me a message saying that he could barely get the saw to start and when they did it has no power.

Sounds to me like he straight gassed it and I'm about to be out a few hundred bucks. He hasn't filed a paypal dispute yet but, has anyone ever won a dispute as a seller?

Let this be a lesson to everyone, again.:taped:

You've got to be smart as an Epay seller. Write up a good disclaimer that clearly states in large letters and small words "AS IS".

Also include that if the buyer gases it, runs it, or runs it over, it's his responsibility.

Make no claim of power or smoothness or any other subjective term. What you say is "mint" may be some freak's idea of garbage and vice versa.
:deadhorse:

I told him I'd happily refund his money minus shipping if the saw comes back to me in the same condition it left. If the compression is low or the cylinder is scored I said we have to figure something else out.

He claims he used 91 octane@ 40:1. Which may be true, maybe all it needs is acarb adjustment. We'll see how it pans out.

Of all the saws I sent to the bay, only one came back...missing parts hmmm, of course the buyer got his money back and I ended up stripping it and spreading the parts around to members here. I lost despite pictures showing no parts missing in the listing. Bottom line is if they want to nail you, they can.

With paypal all you have to prove is that you shipped the item, did he sign for it? I filed a claim with paypal for a digital camera that I bought that was missing parts, just asked the guy to pay for the missing stuff, no go, in the end paypal said we do not settle disputes on condition only that you received the shipment. So no worries unless he claims he never got the saw and you can not prove he received it.

Now if he files a claim with Ebay I don't know how that works.

Tim

Last edited:
A bit of clarification is needed here.

If you are a serious "Ebayer" that depends on the site for a living, then you
have a certain "slant" on this topic.

If you occaisionally sell a saw or two, and if all goes to hell, you can sell
again later under your girlfriend's account, or start a new one, then that is
a totally different "slant".

As far as a "showdown" that Ebay or Paypal arbitrates, you may win the battle, or not, but you will surely lose the war.

The way it stands now, paypal may favor on your side, but the buyer will
give you a negative feedback on e-bay.

What is worse, even if you cave in and make the buyer happy, and do
whatever you can to make him happy, and he can still "neg" you.

I have been on the phone a lot with ebay in the past, and they "assure"
me that they would take into consideration my history and the buyers as
well, in reviewing a feedback complaint.

But they make no promises at all. So if you have a 100%, and wish to keep it, you put up with a lot of swill, and eat a lot of profit, etc..

Having never sold anything (let alone a saw) on ebay, I think I'd consider setting a saw up pretty rich before shipping it. Think that'd be worth the effort just to make sure someone doesn't run it at sea level and lean it out if it was tuned for a higher elevation?

I had a Makita 6401 that ran great, didn't get a video of it before listing it on ebay. It sells, I ship, he receives. A week later he sends me a message saying that he could barely get the saw to start and when they did it has no power.

Sounds to me like he straight gassed it and I'm about to be out a few hundred bucks. He hasn't filed a paypal dispute yet but, has anyone ever won a dispute as a seller?

Just a thought for you. Where did you ship it to? Maybe there's an AS member that can have a quick look at it for you at the buyer's residence. Could save you shipping cost and negative rep if it's something simple. Kind of like sending one of your service techs. How can you get negative ebay rep for that??

The exact reason i will not sell a saw on ebay, hope you get straightened out and its fair to you. Goodluck

I have only sold one saw on Ebay that had a issue when the buyer got it, seems it would not run unless the choke was partially on. He had a co-worker look it over and we both determined that the diaphragm in the carb needed replaced. I paid for a carb kit, they found one cheaper than I could anyway, and sent the co-worker $20 for putting the kit in. The saw ran great after that and all worked out very well. I only had $25 in the saw, sold it for $65 and spent $30 getting it fixed. I did not make any money, but did not lose any either, and the customer has a great little saw now.

Edit:
That is why I no longer "run" a saw dry before I ship. I used to drain the fluids, start the engine and let it idle until it cut off. I now just drain the fluids, wrap the saw in heavy plastic and pack it up. I have also started stating the exact mix ratio I ran the saw on. I also place a disclaimer stating the saw may need minor carb adjustments depending on their chose of fuel, oil, ratio and elevation.

Last edited:
Still no resolutin but, I told him that if he wants to ship the saw back tome that is fine and as long as there are no signs of the saw being straight gassed I would happily refund his money minus shipping.

It ran fine when it left, barring straight gassing there isn't but so much that could have been messed up. I say this with my tinges crossed of course.

Where is the saw now? I'd go check it over if it were on my side of Atlanta.

Thanks for the offer but, he's in NY. I'd have to look for the city. I'm waiting to here back from him as to whether he is going to ship it back or not.

I sent him 4 loops of safety chain with it, I'm wondering if that's why he is thinking the saw is down on power? Cutting speed is definitely down with that chain.

If he sends it back maybe that's a sign from above that I should have kept it and added a bigbore kit?:greenchainsaw:

I'm done with Ebay!

Buyer has all the rights.seller has no protection anymore.

Let's see how they do with no sellers.

At the rate there going,they are going to shoot themselves in the foot sooner than later.

I'll buy there but I will NEVER sell on Feebay again!

I'm heading back to CT from Knoxville.............

the end of the week.If he's in NY off 81 or 84 I would be glad to stop and look at it.

Thanks for the offer but, he's in NY. I'd have to look for the city. I'm waiting to here back from him as to whether he is going to ship it back or not.

I sent him 4 loops of safety chain with it, I'm wondering if that's why he is thinking the saw is down on power? Cutting speed is definitely down with that chain.

If he sends it back maybe that's a sign from above that I should have kept it and added a bigbore kit?:greenchainsaw:

This really is a bummer thomas, hope this gets resolved fer ya?
It's crazy, sellers and landlords have no footing anymore!?
People come and destroy and get backed by the law anymore?
It really makes it tough on the honest people who are trying to make a buck, or even sell something they don't want to sell, just cause they need the money!
Keep us informed and that's pretty cool AS members are willing to help!

Back