I've not found an answer to this question yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain_man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so lets say some saw was ordered online many months ago and a person needs warranty service. Can you take this saw to any service agency or does it have to be where you bought it from. As I know all warranty service for any other product they make a good bit of cash for that type of work from the company. On cars you can take it anywhere you are near but on saws as well? I figured this was a great place to ask this question. Thanks,
Josh

You can take it anywhere if they will work on it.

PS- They really dont pay that well for warranty!

Really? Wow that's strange. Warranty work for most products pays pretty well. I guess with chainsaws it happens a little less being they run forever well cared for lol Well that and when they usually break it's time for a new one. :chainsaw:

Ohh nothing at all. A friend purchased a 361 from a local dealer and doesn't like the way he's treated. He wants to know if he could go to another dealer without much trouble. Mostly simple stuff but had some problem with the clutch? He didn't give details but I was sorta shocked. Guess their is one bad apple every 5000 or so saws :jawdrop:

Ohh nothing at all. A friend purchased a 361 from a local dealer and doesn't like the way he's treated. He wants to know if he could go to another dealer without much trouble. Mostly simple stuff but had some problem with the clutch? He didn't give details but I was sorta shocked. Guess their is one bad apple every 5000 or so saws :jawdrop:

I thought you said online?

Aww crap sorry I thought I explained the story. Quick version. He bought the saw when he was up here and he lives 2+ hr's away. He doesn't cut unless he's up here where he bought the saw but the dealer is not very kind to him. Sorry didn't quite catch that part while typing.

PS- They really dont pay that well for warranty!

This is a true story. Take for example the service department at an auto dealer. They go by published, universal rates for services performed (ie. 2hrs. shop time for brakes, 4 hrs. for ball joints, etc.). When they perform this work under warrantly, the hours paid the dealer and mechanic are literally cut in half.

For the application, if a saw shop charges $50/hour as service rates and Husqvarna reimburses $25 per hour for warranty work, the dealer is losing money by working on a saw under warranty compared to working on the saw that is not under warranty. In the case you are considering, add to the equation that the dealer didn't get your original sale either.

In most cases, this was why I saw dealers stop dealing with Husqvarna. Saws were being sold over the internet to untrained operators who in turn would have bad gas issues with the saw or burn up the cylinder or pull so hard on a stuck bar to bend the crank, then take it to the local dealer who was too expensive to buy from originally and demand that the dealer fix it under warranty.

The solution to this is the business plan that Stihl works under. Sell all saws on a very personal level. The product is good and the consumer is trained on the saws operations at point of purchase. That being said, there are certain saw models that I want that are not sold locally. I would be willing to purchase those by mail or online, but I cannot expect the dealer to be responsible for covering those under warranty.

Aww crap sorry I thought I explained the story. Quick version. He bought the saw when he was up here and he lives 2+ hr's away. He doesn't cut unless he's up here where he bought the saw but the dealer is not very kind to him. Sorry didn't quite catch that part while typing.

PM me which dealer if you don't mind.

Actually... If he doesn't like the dealer, make him do the warranty work! :greenchainsaw:

Your friend can take the saw to any dealer... Just proof of purchase date, warranty form, or the online registration. An independant (they all are) dealer is not required to work on any saw, but Stihl takse a dim view if they unreasonably refuse...

361 warranty? what's the problem? The reason I ask is that warranty repair is rare on all saws, and if it's not a warranty issue, your friend will get stuck with a bill he might not expect.

Last edited:
As I said above he said something about the clutch? I really don't know details and couldn't find anyone with any issues on the 361 anywhere on the net. Even if it costs him the money he'll pay for it but I'd imagine it will be covered the way he talks of it. :confused:

What happened to the 5100? LOL! :cheers:

Ohh nothing at all. A friend purchased a 361 from a local dealer and doesn't like the way he's treated. He wants to know if he could go to another dealer without much trouble. Mostly simple stuff but had some problem with the clutch? :

:cheers: Ha,ha,ha....stepped into that one! Thought it was the 5100 and by gorry! It's anMS361!:cheers:

It's also good to know just incase it happens to me as well. I bought my 5100 much further from me just to get nicer people and price (by far) and wanted to know if in a pinch I would have that option. Even if it's "maybe"

Latest posts

Back