jap beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking to keep them out of the house or another area, I have heard that a "tea" made from bay leaves works well. Mix up a strong batch and spray the perimeter of the area you want to keep them out of.

Phermone Trap

Puta phermone trap IN YOUR NEIGHBORS YARD, then they will head his way not yours...
Or just use an insecticide labeled for them, shoudlnt be hard to find, lots of homeowner friendly products are applicable..

japanese beetles

I used Sevin (liquid concentrate w/water) on my apple trees this year and it worked great. Wish I had put it on sooner.....

Scott

There is a mutlitude of chemicals that will work on them. Visit you local garden center and start reading labels, I can't remember now what I used.

It took me a day or two to identify the dang things two years ago when they invaded my sweet corn crop. They destroyed about $400 worth of sweet corn almost overnight.

Sevin will do....you might soak a couple packages of chewing tobacco in couple gallons of water, then strain that and spray with it...nicotene is
highly toxic to most insects...

"The adults can be controlled by spraying susceptible plants with insecticides. Over-the-counter pesticides available for this include: acephate (Orthene), carbaryl (Sevin), and several pyrethroids - bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, deltamethrin, lambda-cyhalothrin, permethrin, and others. Applications of imidacloprid (=Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub Concentrate) generally need to be made 20 days before anticipated Japanese beetle adult activity. During the heavy adult activity periods, sprays may be needed every 5 to 10 days."
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2001.html

"If you use carbaryl for beetles or other insect pests, be sure to check for spider mites. A mite "explosion" on plants with a few mites often occurs after an initial use of carbaryl."
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1250/

More info, good chart included:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG7664.html

I use Orthene. It is systemic, has a broad label, and seems to have a long residual.

I have a pusssywillow they like the best, so I go out to it whenever I can with a bucket of soapy water and shake em in. Works well; kinda satisfying killing em by hand rather than going toxic.

I have seen a light infestation this year. Perhaps that late, killing freeze took its toll on many of them. At some point I see myself applying Milky Spore but I am waiting for the price to drop.

I have seen a light infestation this year. Perhaps that late, killing freeze took its toll on many of them. At some point I see myself applying Milky Spore but I am waiting for the price to drop.

And when the price drops to zero, it will then match the efficacy against adult Japanese beetles in your yard.

Last edited:
And when the price drops to zero, it will then match the efficacy against adult Japanese beetles in your yard.

Woodie...I'll have to admit that you are right on that...are you an arborist or a horticulturist? :rock:

I have a pusssywillow they like the best, so I go out to it whenever I can with a bucket of soapy water and shake em in. Works well; kinda satisfying killing em by hand rather than going toxic.

If you can get them while they are mating they shake right off the plant super easy. And they seem to mate virtually all the time:dizzy:

Coitus interuptus

If you can get them while they are mating they shake right off the plant super easy. And they seem to mate virtually all the time:dizzy:

hmmm...sounds like loads of fun!

28334648_5f59066f98.jpg

For what? To stop Elmore from spreading insect ****?

Hey Now.

That could be a new thread...

Insect **** ???... hehe

attachment.php

If your in me...
I can't feel you...

That's gotta be the worst thing to hear. :(

Latest posts

Back