Japanese Maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice collection there! It looks like they've been in the ground for a while, maybe a decade?
Yes in fact closer to 2 decades. I think 6 the oldest ones I bought in '92 and I had to digg them up from where they were and replant.

beautiful Dave. Just marvelous. And people wonder why I have so many of them!!!!!

Thanks, I love them. I now have a green cutleaf that is a good seed producer, so am getting a steady stream of sports popping up. I also have a bloodgood that seeds some. This summer I potted up two flats of seeds with the kids, they loved it and I have only had to answer the "are they growing yet" 1087 times so far. lol. But is was fun and they are interested which is cool.

Dave, I am absolutely speechless! Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. What zone are you in? I know parts of New York get cold, but how cold do you get?

I agree, Iowa, a good reason for having so many. They really add to the landscape with a charm and elegance all their own.

Sylvia

Trim, thats good stuff, man. Foliage can dress up a landscape as well as ANY flower!

I am in zone 6 and usually there is one brief period in the winter where it hits single digits.

a little ice...

100_0707b.jpg

This next maple was a red cut leaf....one real cold night about midnite when i was coming up the driveway, there were about six deer standing in my way munching on my shrubs so i beeped the horn to get them to move, the running truck itself was not enough. anyway the one deer jumps fight into a red cutleaf and snaps it clean off at the graft. The tree was the twin to the one shown in the previous ice pic. Now it is growing out of the rootstock and this is what it looks like....an even finer leaf and goes orange in the fall. It grows real,real, slow. But this is one I'd like to graft, the leaves are beautiful.

Image00014-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back