JD 65EV any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i found a used john deere 65EV from a local guy for $75. says it runs real good and has a 16" bar on it so im hoping it wasnt beat up. research shows this is a rebadged echo 650, a 65cc saw for under $100 seems like a steal.

anyone have anything good or bad to say about these saws? would be using it mainly for storm cleanups, bucking up fallen trees. ill replace the bar with a 20" probably.

I have a 55V that my dad bought new back in the mid 80's... I have trouble finding some parts for it, but otherwise it is a good saw.
Mine has some issues that need to be worked out....

There are 2 other local guys that have JD's and they like them....

If it runs, for that kind of money....not bad!

I learned how to run chainsaws with a JD 70, 80, and an echo 90 back in the 1970's. they did the job, well. I've re acquired some mid sized JD's since, and find them to be mediocre. they work, but not like the orange saws. but still, for the price, you can't go wrong. parts availability in your area might matter, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

and you need 2 saws, when you cut up fallen trees.:chainsawguy:

i have a husky 141 that i use for pruning larger ornamentals but thats not enough to clean up storm damage. maybe limbing but not bucking.

ive been shopping for a larger saw for awhile. looking at huskies more than anything although our dealer went out of biz last year and the saws at the big box stores are garbage, they dont even offer the 350's let alone a 353 or 359.

i have a husky 141 that i use for pruning larger ornamentals but thats not enough to clean up storm damage. maybe limbing but not bucking.

ive been shopping for a larger saw for awhile. looking at huskies more than anything although our dealer went out of biz last year and the saws at the big box stores are garbage, they dont even offer the 350's let alone a 353 or 359.

If that saw is in good shape, you can't go wrong for that money. I had a Echo CS-650 at one time and while it was dependable, like said before performance was very mediocre at best. Sounds like you have no need to justify any more money spent on one.

It will be ok with a 20" but no more than that. Be aware that for some reason the Echo fuel and oil lines dissolve and need replaced and some are getting hard to find.

Last edited:
Yes it's a good saw, you won't win any races but cutting with them old echo's is enjoyable. Some of the JD versions come with a crappy air filter set-up, not what was issued on it's echo brethren and if so change to the echo nylon one. Most parts from the 660evl will swap in also.

$75 is fair

Back