john deere cs36 stripped bar studs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had a chainsaw given to me. The threaded holes for the studs that the bar mounts to are stripped and I cannot get nuts off or studs out. Anyone have experience with this. Is there threaded metal inserts in there or just threaded plastic?

Got the studs out. Was just threaded plastic. Bigger threads or maybe heli coils. In case anyone cared.

dont know what size your dealing with---but stihl has a replacement stud for one of the chainsaws--that the base thread is larger than the bar stud size--hence oversize for the case holes--

I was recently given a Stihl 038AV with both studs stripped out. I ordered 2 10mmx8mm studs from Madsens ( www.madsen1.com ) and fixed 'er right up. You will need a 10mm tap and a good prayer to get the tap started exactly right. I used my drill press and a wixey (after I said the good prayer). I set the wixey on the drill bit and zeroed it and then set it on the saw over the holes and then used wedges to get the saw to set a 90º to the bit. (I also did this when I reamed out the holes just to be sure they were perpendicular). Then I flushed out the oil tank real good with gas and added new oil and have been using it ever since as my all around saw. I mill with an 066 and all the bars/chains will also fit the 038.
All this assume that your saw will work with 8mm studs

bought new studs and heli coils. Worked just fine. Now I have fresh gas and new spark plug. I have fuel and spark but wont start????

Back