John Deere saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought the saw out of a repair shop and it has fire and compression. With a little work that makes it a runner. I am sure it will need a carb. kit, filter and sprocket, but everything else looks ok.
I spent about two hours this afternoon cleaning it and I liked what I saw. There is nothing cheap about the way it is built.
It has the numbers TY65EVA on a plate and I could not find it on Acres site. I think it will be a 50 to 60 cc saw from it's Physical size.
I would like to know what it compares to in the Echo line. Thanks for any help. Tom

would it be comparable to a 650evl? it seems to me john deere badged echos dropped a zero in their model #'s . . . the 50v is the same saw as the 500vl . . .not sure though, when the acre's site can't help out, i am generally at a loss

Deere echos

would it be comparable to a 650evl? it seems to me john deere badged echos dropped a zero in their model #'s . . . the 50v is the same saw as the 500vl . . .not sure though, when the acre's site can't help out, i am generally at a loss

"Right on" On the dropping of the "0" for the Deere models. If it has a plastic gas tank vs. molded (part of the chasis) aluminum gas tank, it is the same as the cs650vl (point ignition) or cs650evl (electronic ignition). These horizontal engine series were excellent and fun to use.

The only weakness is the electronic ignition. They went out too often and were expensive.

Good luck
echoman

This one has the molded gas tank and I think it has the electronis ignition, will have to check further. I checked for fire with a bulb type tester and had as good a spark as I have seen on anything. Thanks for the help. Tom

Yep, I checked the 650 evl on Acres site and my saw looks just like the one shown, except mine had a nut with a hollow screw just to the left of the spark plug. I thought it was a compression release when I firsr saw it, but it is not. I will have to check it out further. Thanks again for the help. Tom

Wish it were mine

Yep, I checked the 650 evl on Acres site and my saw looks just like the one shown, except mine had a nut with a hollow screw just to the left of the spark plug. I thought it was a compression release when I firsr saw it, but it is not. I will have to check it out further. Thanks again for the help. Tom

Yea, great. If you look closer, you will find that it is a plastic gas tank which is better. They do not transfer as much heat and just work better.

echoman

There is nothing cheap about the way it is built.
Those saws were made by Homelite. Based upon my experience with anything Homelite, Id say that everything is cheap about the way those saws were built.
Id pass on it. Get yourself a Stihl, Husky or Echo.

Oval tag

Manufactored by Kioritz Corp. according to the label. Tom

The oval tag below the bar is the key to know it was made by echo. Kioritz is the parent company of echo.

Some old craftsman saws, mcculloch trimmers, john deere saws/trimmers, and possibly other companies sold them. Look for the metal oval tag in pictures on ebay, craigslist etc.....

All echos (last few years I dont know) are made with ball bearings on the mains and balanced crank/rod. The old ones may give up power per cc, but they will outlast almost every model for their price.

Great buy, wish I had a 650.

Good luck,
echoman

It had the tag you mentioned.
I got it cleaned and put back together, Put in new gas and after five or six pulls it crank and ran. I thought for sure I would have to rebuild the carb.
I still have a problem with it, It was hard to turn at the start so I put some WD 40 in the cylinder and turned it over several times without the plug. Then I put a large amount of mix in the carb. and pulled it over several more times before I tried to crank it.
The cylinder looks O K and it has good compression.
It runs OK, except it want idle. I called a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable the I am and he said it is possible a seal leaking and possible a bearing going bad that caused it to be hard to turn. I am going to pressure test it tomorrow if I have time.

I will need a IPL for it and I have lost the link to Echo's site. If any one has the link or an IPL I would appreciate the information. Thanks Tom

Last edited:
It had the tag you mentioned.
I got it cleaned and put back together, Put in new gas and after five or six pulls it crank and ran. I thought for sure I would have to rebuild the carb.
I still have a problem with it, It was hard to turn at the start so I put some WD 40 in the cylinder and turned it over several times without the plug. Then I put a large amount of mix in the carb. and pulled it over several more times before I tried to crank it.
The cylinder looks O K and it has good compression.
It runs OK, except it want idle. I called a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable the I am and he said it is possible a seal leaking and possible a bearing going bad that caused it to be hard to turn. I am going to pressure test it tomorrow if I have time.

I will need a IPL for it and I have lost the link to Echo's site. If any one has the link or an IPL I would appreciate the information. Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

From the start, I was worried about the engine damage. The lower end of the engine is essentially the "fuel pump" of a 2 cycle engine. Even minor damage to the lower end will prevent fuel from entering the crankcase and then to the combustion chamber. High top end compression has nothing to do with this.

The most common complaint is that it runs when cold, but it starves for fuel (lean) when it warms up and it will not idle.

Don't put good money chasing bad until you address this. Myself and every mechanic that ever worked for me has lost days mis diagnosing this.

The crankcase must be sealed first (seals and gaskets). After that, suspect the lower end of the cylinder.

If you want detailed info, scan some of my prior posts and you will find the 2 cycle theory pertaining to engine damage on the lower end.

Good good luck,
echoman

Latest posts

Back