John Deere saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone know who is making the new John Deere chainsaws? Someone told me Dolmar? but just curious if anyone on here knew?
I sell stihl, echo and the John Deere's...but only people who want the JD's are the ones that want it to match they're mowers...*smile*.

WOODBUTCHER said:
Call me ignorant, but are the Deeres Oleo macs any good?

From everything I have seen or heard, the answer seems to be yes. The 62cc saw seems particularly interesting - good amount of power for the weight. Their 40 and 47cc saws also seem like good little saws for handling small tasks around the house or as a non-pro limbing saw.

timber said:
i was tolde eacho makes them

Yea many years ago they did.:dizzy:.I have a few of them old things laying around in parts.. Plus have a Factory repair manuals from John Deere for them old John Deere -Echo's...

But now day's all John Deere saws are Efco's..They are a really good saw...I have one a CS52 runs like a mad monkey...:chainsaw: ...Plus they all have a full 2 year warranty.. To Boot

Go here to look at them:http://www.chainsaws4u.com/johndeerechainsaws.htm

or here: http://www.tiltonequipment.com/efco/Tilton_efco_products_page.html

I hope this helps :cheers:
Allan.K

PS I am thinking of getting the CS62.. Even tho I am a BIG STIHL Fan

Last edited:
One of the web sites claims that the Efco saws were formally Olympyk. I am curious where they are made?

RES said:
One of the web sites claims that the Efco saws were formally Olympyk. I am curious where they are made?

Made in Italy.

The new Efcos are great saws and a good value. I love the old olympyks too. Everthing new and old are just tough to find parts for.

Currently Efco, previously known as Olympyk, Olympik, and Oleo Mac. All made in Italy. Emak is the parent company and still sells oleo mac in markets outside North America. If you find the Emak website it's real interesting to see the other Efco products that aren't available here.

The Olympic commitee (as in sports) demanded that they change the name or pay royalties... Seems absurd that they would draw a connection between the two.

retoocs555 said:
The Olympic commitee (as in sports) demanded that they change the name or pay royalties... Seems absurd that they would draw a connection between the two.

They're doing the same stupid thing in Vancouver with the 2010 Winter Olympics being held here, they're trying to force anything with Olympic in its name to change it, from pizza shops to first aid companies. It's just stupid and heavy handed, I highly doubt a pizza shop or a first aid company, or chainsaw maker are really going to benefit from the Olympic games. Just shows the ridiculous mentality that some of these idiots in charge of them have :bang: .

We had a John deere saw at work, That thing was a PILE....... Run good one day like crap the next..... I fiddled with the settings got it running decent, Ran for a while, Then It finnally locked up one day.... It ran like crap since the day it was bought, As far as im concerned they are WAY overpriced.... I wouldnt ever buy another one........ Now all we got are husqvarna chainsaws.... But my next one MIGht be a stihl.... I'll have to see...

Derag2 said:
We had a John deere saw at work, That thing was a PILE....... Run good one day like crap the next..... I fiddled with the settings got it running decent, Ran for a while, Then It finnally locked up one day.... It ran like crap since the day it was bought, As far as im concerned they are WAY overpriced.... I wouldnt ever buy another one........ Now all we got are husqvarna chainsaws.... But my next one MIGht be a stihl.... I'll have to see...

How old was this saw? The previous Deere's weren't Efco saws. Efco makes a quality product that doesn't normally exhibit the behaviour that you experienced. I'm betting the saw you ran was one of the old rebadged Homelite POS models. Deere used to own Homelite for a while, after Textron drove them into the ground and all they were making was cheap consumer grade garbage.

TimberPig said:
How old was this saw? The previous Deere's weren't Efco saws. Efco makes a quality product that doesn't normally exhibit the behaviour that you experienced. I'm betting the saw you ran was one of the old rebadged Homelite POS models. Deere used to own Homelite for a while, after Textron drove them into the ground and all they were making was cheap consumer grade garbage.

Read my mind. I just got a 251 olympyk and it's the bees knees. The bees knees.

Kicks the heck out of the 026 which has a slightly larger displacement. I picked it up needing a pull handle for $30. 160#s baby.

Fred

Allan.K said:
Yea many years ago they did.:dizzy:.I have a few of them old things laying around in parts.. Plus have a Factory repair manuals from John Deere for them old John Deere -Echo's...

But now day's all John Deere saws are Efco's..They are a really good saw...I have one a CS52 runs like a mad monkey...:chainsaw: ...Plus they all have a full 2 year warranty.. To Boot

Go here to look at them:http://www.chainsaws4u.com/johndeerechainsaws.htm

or here: http://www.tiltonequipment.com/efco/Tilton_efco_products_page.html

I hope this helps :cheers:
Allan.K

PS I am thinking of getting the CS62.. Even tho I am a BIG STIHL Fan
Those comparisons look to be bogus. They list JD vs Stihl vs Husky. PRO SERIES HEAVY DUTY. Last I checked the Husky 55 was consumer model not pro series unsure about the comparable Stihl model.

Bad E said:
Those comparisons look to be bogus. They list JD vs Stihl vs Husky. PRO SERIES HEAVY DUTY. Last I checked the Husky 55 was consumer model not pro series unsure about the comparable Stihl model.

The 290 isn't a pro saw either.

It just goes to show you that you have to watch what they are saying. They're trying to sell their product, and they'll do whatever is necessary to make theirs look good, even when they blatantly compare a professional build quality saw to a consumer build quality saw, then publish the results with a straight face. Hopefully not too many people blindly buy into it, although they would be getting a better built saw in the JD than those particular Stihl and Husky saws, they could probably still get more if they were a little more aware of what they are actually looking at.

TimberPig said:
The 290 isn't a pro saw either.

It just goes to show you that you have to watch what they are saying. They're trying to sell their product, and they'll do whatever is necessary to make theirs look good, even when they blatantly compare a professional build quality saw to a consumer build quality saw, then publish the results with a straight face. Hopefully not too many people blindly buy into it, although they would be getting a better built saw in the JD than those particular Stihl and Husky saws, they could probably still get more if they were a little more aware of what they are actually looking at.
Shopping at Home Depot the other day I looked over the new John Deere garden tractors. They have been really cheapened up and now sport Briggs and Stratton motors just like the cheap no name models beside them, but they were asking premium prices for them
No thanks JD.

The john deere saw was boughten, in like 2002 i beleive.......

Briggs and straton have come a way in there engines, we have a JD mower no problems at all. I bought a brand new briggs engine for a walk behind mower at work and Its pretty decent, a little loud but starts right up every time.... There not on the same level as the honda engines, but I wouldn't say theres anything wrong with them..... If I ever buy a rider I would look into a deere mower, We've had our share of cheapies from box stores and I would never buy another one.....

Derag2 said:
The john deere saw was boughten, in like 2002 i beleive.......

Briggs and straton have come a way in there engines, we have a JD mower no problems at all. I bought a brand new briggs engine for a walk behind mower at work and Its pretty decent, a little loud but starts right up every time.... There not on the same level as the honda engines, but I wouldn't say theres anything wrong with them..... If I ever buy a rider I would look into a deere mower, We've had our share of cheapies from box stores and I would never buy another one.....
For a lot less money Husqvarna mowers at Lowes with Kohler motors.They look to be better built.

Bad E said:
For a lot less money Husqvarna mowers at Lowes with Kohler motors.They look to be better built.

Go with a old garden tractor, they ARE better built. I love old Cub Cadet and Bolens garden tractors, gotta be at least 12 horse to big enough to play with though. Wheel horse is good too. Old deere is good but everybody seems to think they're made of gold, lots of $1000 pos green garden tractors out there.

Latest posts

Back