Johnny Red 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter399

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying a 372 for a long time now before they get discontinued. But now I'm leaning more towards the 2171. According to the most experienced logger and chainsaw modder I know in my area, you can always get more out of a 2171 than a 372. He always buys 2171s and mods them immediately. BB kit, woods port, muffler, the Husky's top cover with HD air filter.
So far, equal saws. So the Huskys has the advantage of the better air filter but it can be fitted to the 2171 as described. Now, the J-red has an advantage that cannot be changed easily. It cools the engine better. More air surrounding the cylinder. If this cooling can be the little extra power I dunno. But his 372s have never really reached the 2171s in power. What is your experience? Shouldn't the 2171 get a bit more reputation here? I find a lot of talk about the 372 but not so much about the 2171.

/Peter

I've been thinking of buying a 372 for a long time now before they get discontinued. But now I'm leaning more towards the 2171. According to the most experienced logger and chainsaw modder I know in my area, you can always get more out of a 2171 than a 372. He always buys 2171s and mods them immediately. BB kit, woods port, muffler, the Husky's top cover with HD air filter.
So far, equal saws. So the Huskys has the advantage of the better air filter but it can be fitted to the 2171 as described. Now, the J-red has an advantage that cannot be changed easily. It cools the engine better. More air surrounding the cylinder. If this cooling can be the little extra power I dunno. But his 372s have never really reached the 2171s in power. What is your experience? Shouldn't the 2171 get a bit more reputation here? I find a lot of talk about the 372 but not so much about the 2171.

/Peter
That is the saw I want! Just because I cant get used to the Husky angled handle! I have not run either saw but the Jred feels better to me! It is a personal thing I think they are the same saw but it is the feel of the Jred I like more! I like my 044 But it is the feel of the 2171 I like more! All are good but again it is how they feel in my hands. Everybody is different I like my 044 but I like the feel of the 2171 more and I hate the Husky. I would have to try a 2171 in wood to see how it compares to my 044.

I believe Husky makes the 2171 on mondays, and the 372xps the rest of the week...........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

...and the handlebar (lack of) angle is really bad on the Jreds......

I believe Husky makes the 2171 on mondays, and the 372xps the rest of the week...........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

...and the handlebar (lack of) angle is really bad on the Jreds......
I was told it was the otherway around!

That's some interesting perception there, that a 2171 somehow is faster or stronger than a 372. The engines are identical, built on the same line, then painted in different colours and wrapped in different plastic. If an actual dyno or a stopwatch with the same bar/chain in the same wood was used, the seat of the pants evaluation would likely show that there is no difference. Maybe he truly does get some faster 2171's and slower 372's, but I doubt the difference is noticeable in the real world.

Stock, both are rated at 3.9kW, but the Husky is rated at 5.4hp, and the Jred 5.3hp mostly - but sometimes 5.4.......:confused: :dizzy:

Well, 3.9kW could be both 5.3 and 5.4hp - so the inconsistancy is just in the Jred web-sites vs. catalogs and user manuals - and no big deal anyway......:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

The larger air filter on the 372 is NOT the better filter. It gets dirty quicker. is harder to clean, and costs more to replace. It's more of a style thing. It is there to project a "K&N" type look. The Jonsered filter gives you a choice of felt, and two different micron nylon filters. 372XPG's come with the same filter as on the Jonsered.

Stock, both are rated at 3.9kW, but the Husky is rated at 5.4hp, and the Jred 5.3hp mostly - but sometimes 5.4.......:confused: :dizzy:

Well, 3.9kW could be both 5.3 and 5.4hp - so the inconsistancy is just in the Jred web-sites vs. catalogs and user manuals - and no big deal anyway......:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
True! It is all about the handle and colour! same saw! But they do feel different.

The larger air filter on the 372 is NOT the better filter. It gets dirty quicker. is harder to clean, and costs more to replace. It's more of a style thing. It is there to project a "K&N" type look. The Jonsered filter gives you a choice of felt, and two different micron nylon filters. 372XPG's come with the same filter as on the Jonsered.

My 372xpg has the low filter cover, and a mesh filter, and so does the xps here - only a few specs on the filter after 3 tanks, hardly notisable - I believe you could run tens of tanks before filter clogging would be a problem......:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

My 372xpg has the low filter cover, and a mesh filter - only a few specs on the filter after 3 tanks, hardly notisable - I believe you could run tens of tanks before filter clogging would be a problem......:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:
All I can add to this is the filter on my 2159 stay's clean after cutting all day No other saw I own can do that!

Yep, I agree - no need for the high filters - just a gimmick, that adds some weight also......:cheers: :cheers:

I was able to get hold of the what Woodie believes to be the Queen of mid range pro saws... a CS2171. She was in excellent shape, but the chain needed a good sharpening. Came with 5 l of bar oil and some Stihl Ultra.
Not bad for 180 $...:givebeer: :givebeer:

Now before Woodie goes all delirious about its performance...it's a nice runner and revs up quite good, but I still like my 361 better. I didn't run it in the wood yet, but that will come soon.
Another mystery solved...

2171Asmall.jpg

2171csmall.jpg

I was able to get hold of the what Woodie believes to be the Queen of mid range pro saws... a CS2171. She was in excellent shape, but the chain needed a good sharpening. Came with 5 l of bar oil and some Stihl Ultra.
Not bad for 180 $...:givebeer: :givebeer:

Now before Woodie goes all delirious about its performance...it's a nice runner and revs up quite good, but I still like my 361 better. I didn't run it in the wood yet, but that will come soon.
Another mystery solved...

You get that Jonny in some wood...she'll change your 361-addled mind!! :D :D :D

/Peter

Peter,

Twenty months later and I have to ask: How's the 372 discontinuation coming? At least you were warned.

Joat

Latest posts

Back