Joncutter G3800 review.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donb011

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Joncutter G3800.
I bought this little saw because I was curious. I make dirtbike trails and use a lot of small saws. I run them for 2-4 hours strait on the weekends. I've been trying out different saws looking for what works the best for me. So far have or had the following. Echo CS-310 and 352. Stihl 017, MS193 and MS211. Husqvarna 36 and 435 snd recently s Makita EA3500. Untill the Makita EA3500 I bought I wasnt real happy with the sub 40cc saws. For the price I figured what the heck let's try one more. The general build looks good but the fit and finish is a little off. The air filter cover just doesn't sit right and there's a couple sharp edges. Overall build doesn't look to far off the others.
Performance wise it was pretty weak even for a 37cc saw. After looking at the pin hole size exhaust I seen why. Time for a muffler mod. The muffler is a rolled edge design and doesn't come apart. There is a center baffle with a pencil size hole no cat. I was able to drill several small holes through the baffle from the exhaust port. Then from the front open up the exhaust hole to about a 1/2" hole. With a little carb adjustment it was a completely different saw. Now it has some power. It's starts up fast hot or cold and idles steady with fast pickup. Power wise it would beat the Echo CS-352. I ran the 352 over so it's not available to test. It had a mm also. Chain speed is good. It revs up fast and is really smooth. It's going to work good for the small stuff. RPM wise it's right there with the Makita but is down on power maybe just a tad. A 10 second cut with the Makita is 10.5s with the G3800. That was thru 10" maple. On small 4"Same and under I couldn't tell the difference. By the way exact same chain and bar used in the test cuts. Over all a good performing saw if you give it a muffler mod. Without it there's better choices. Oiler puts out great,more than enough for a 16" bar. AV works good too.Time will tell on how it holds up. I've put six tanks through it as of now and it's feeling stronger. The balance is also great. With the oil in the handle the weight is shifted back giving the a lighter feel. Fully gased and oiled 16" bar and chain it was 11.8lbs power only dry was 9.3. Just a tad heavier than the Echos but feels better cutting. It carries the weight good . Overall I like it better than the echos. So if you can do a muffler mod it's a good running little saw that will hold its own against the big boys. Hopefully the saw holds up.IMG_20200703_194550723.jpg

Update.
Did a base gasket delete ,a little porting and opened up the muffle some more.
The cut that took 10.5 seconds is now 8.5 seconds. This little saw just rips now. Hopefully it holds up

Widened the intake and exhaust 1mm total. Raised the the exhaust port .25mm . The transfers are open slots that looked like they would flow good.

That is interesting, it looks like a major improvement!

I use my over 20 years old 36 cc Shindaiwa 360 a lot and ordered one of these from farmertech couple of weeks ago as a backup small saw.

Has the G3800 held up OK so far?

That is interesting, it looks like a major improvement!

I use my over 20 years old 36 cc Shindaiwa 360 a lot and ordered one of these from farmertech couple of weeks ago as a backup small saw.

Has the G3800 held up OK so far?

It's still running good. Did a demo job at the house removing a old deck plus some limbing and pruning. Put around 7-8 tanks through it. Only issue with the saw is the sprocket. One tooth is small or it's not on center. Chain loosens up in one spot.

Good thing about these saws the is sprockets are easy to with a quick Google search. Ryobi, craftsman, redmax, and the husqvarna 543xp use the same clutch and drum, you can even convert to a rim sprocket setup.

It's still running good. Did a demo job at the house removing a old deck plus some limbing and pruning. Put around 7-8 tanks through it. Only issue with the saw is the sprocket. One tooth is small or it's not on center. Chain loosens up in one spot.

My new JonCutter G3800 arrived few days ago and after having done initial "breaking in" (idling close to three tankfuls of gas / mixing oil at 25:1) I tried it out and decided it's best to remove the muffler for a close inspection.

I did similar drilling as you mentioned in post #1 with the exception on drilling only 1/4" hole in the front to try out, and it certainly made a noticeable difference. I have readjusted the L & H mixtures and decided to set the H to 11,000 Rpm and the saw behaves exactly as it should, 4-stroking, or burbling at no-load full speed and clears out nicely when loaded. Next I am going to increase the muffler front "extra" hole to 1/2" and see if there is much difference?

Clearly more power now and the saw revs up very nice & quick, but I have decided to stick to 11,000 Rpm max since that is what the operator manual specifies.
It may never be equal to Shindaiwa 360 as far as longevity etc. in my opinion, but hey it's pretty close as far as power & handling goes and for a new 37 cc saw like this for $110 it's impossible to beat!

Thanks for your review & comments, much appreciated!

P1070321.1.jpg

Open that center baffle from the backside while your messing with the muffler mod on these. It's basically pencil size eraser size hole at bottom of inner baffle and then the outlet exit size too above under deflector.

I went almost as wide as cylinder exit on inner baffle and then just added another on the exit at deflector area.

That lets that extra opening in front really help then.

weight with dawg and bar nuts etc.

jc3800.jpg
jc3800weight.jpg

Open that center baffle from the backside while your messing with the muffler mod on these. It's basically pencil size eraser size hole at bottom of inner baffle and then the outlet exit size too above under deflector.

I went almost as wide as cylinder exit on inner baffle and then just added another on the exit at deflector area.

That lets that extra opening in front really help then.

weight with dawg and bar nuts etc.

Yes I actually did that, just like the OP Donb011 described in post #1 of this thread.

I really like the way this saw performs, but would like to find a source for really good material gas & oil cap seals.
Mine are still OK but I suspect the material may slowly get softer and stretch?

Yes I actually did that, just like the OP Donb011 described in post #1 of this thread.

I really like the way this saw performs, but would like to find a source for really good material gas & oil cap seals.
Mine are still OK but I suspect the material may slowly get softer and stretch?
So far my seals are holding up and not leaking. I ran 2 tanks through the saw today. It's still cutting great.

The G3800 is a copy of the old Zenoah made redmax 3800. I had one of those for a bit.
Have the clone now too. Dont recall the zenoah redmax one coming with the small dawg.

View attachment 860045

I know this is an old thread but is this a magnesium crankcase saw? They have them on sale for $30 plus $51 shipping. I was thinking about getting one.

I know this is an old thread but is this a magnesium crankcase saw? They have them on sale for $30 plus $51 shipping. I was thinking about getting one.
Yes but not like a full crankcase like we think of. Bolt on cylinder is the plus side of them. Same as oem zenoah made redmax 3800

z3800ipl.png

It is a clone of original design Jonsered 380 and it's been made & sold under many brands as you can see from the few enclosures.

Husqvarna Group:
View attachment 1135823

It definitely does not have a so-called "clamshell" engine crankcase design!
It has diecast magnesium cranckcase according to the enclosed Jonsered & Zenoah "Model Profile".

Good little clone saw and at that price I would buy two just to have spare parts source.
Not jonsered 380.

It is a clone of zenoah redmax 3800. I owned both to know first hand.

I have a NOS p+c for a jred 380 if you want more proof. Totally different saws then Zenoah 3800.

This is the older jred 380 your posting and is totally different saw. ;)

j380.jpg

Back