jonsered 2165 ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike649

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just abought JONSERED 2165 20":greenchainsaw: ,was wondering how many people are using 1?and what ya think of it in terms of cutting, and any dislikes.also any use a chainsaw tach for tuning? or ya do by ear?wheres a good place to order at?

2165 is pretty much comparable to a 60cc stihl on power output, the stihl being slimmer and more nimble to use, the weight difference not a lot depending on where the fuel levels are at, the 2165 slightly heavier overall with a bigger feel to it than a 60cc stihl, an 18 inch bar is best choice, not 20 inch, you want all the power you can get without adding extra weight, if a 20 inch bar is needed, then you want a 70cc saw... 2165 feels to have a relatively low rev power band, ie digs in and 'grunts'/ pulls effortlessly at medium revs, quite relaxed motor, as far as fancy tachometers etc.. waste of time, tweak the high jet till you like how she's running.. just backed off a smidgeon from full scream is the right spot..

A bit much weight and bulk for the power, but for cutting in the yard that doesn't really matter - in the woods, it does...:greenchainsaw:

A generation or so back, Husqvarna came out with the model 61: at the time I worked for a regional distributor handling Poulan and Echo (as well as 3 or 4 lawnmower marques, etc), and we were plenty worried. All the "guy" magazines loved it; I had a copy of the popular Mechanix review over my desk.

It wasn't too long before they had the 67cc variations, then the 272. But for a time, the old 268 was the new hot dog saw. Your 2165 isn't much more than the newest variation on the theme of the old Husky/Electrolux 268. A very good saw.

IMO, that saw is a better choice for the weekend warrior...the wider powerband DOES give up a little peak power to the hot rod 2171 and 372 (if you can find it), but is easier to use for the non-seasoned pro. It will have more than enough power to pull a 20" bar full of full chisel with freshly dressed rakers in anything, and will have no trouble with 24" and maybe even 28" in softwoods.

A generation or so back, Husqvarna came out with the model 61: at the time I worked for a regional distributor handling Poulan and Echo (as well as 3 or 4 lawnmower marques, etc), and we were plenty worried. All the "guy" magazines loved it; I had a copy of the popular Mechanix review over my desk.

It wasn't too long before they had the 67cc variations, then the 272. But for a time, the old 268 was the new hot dog saw. Your 2165 isn't much more than the newest variation on the theme of the old Husky/Electrolux 268. A very good saw.

IMO, that saw is a better choice for the weekend warrior...the wider powerband DOES give up a little peak power to the hot rod 2171 and 372 (if you can find it), but is easier to use for the non-seasoned pro. It will have more than enough power to pull a 20" bar full of full chisel with freshly dressed rakers in anything, and will have no trouble with 24" and maybe even 28" in softwoods.

Cool to see you post again, and i allways respect your opinions - but I don't really agree this time - either get the much lighter MS361 for about the same power as the 365, or get the 372xp for just a tad more weight, and a notisable boost in power.

Cool to see you post again, and i allways respect your opinions - but I don't really agree this time - either get the much lighter MS361 for about the same power as the 365, or get the 372xp for just a tad more weight, and a notisable boost in power.

Sorry Troll, I agree with eyolf. The wider power band does give up a little peek power [speed] for the addition of staying power needed for a heavier cut. The 361 sounds peeky like the 372 - the 2165 would fit nicely in between these two I think.

I don't think it is just for the weekend warrior, though not a 'pro' saw someone on another thread was asking about trimming 36" logs for his mill. I suggested 2165 with 28" bar - because he wanted a 28" bar.

The past equivalents of this saw have been marketed as 'General purpose'. A good all round saw. Like the 038 was, I think.

Weight/ergonomics etc. Preferences.

Again, and ST's gonna agree with me on this one, forget about using bars longer than 18 inches on saws less than 70cc, it's crazy - if you're often digging into 18 inch plus logs you're gonna need a decent sized power head, 20inch plus bars and chains on 60cc saws are pretty much a nonsense... sure they'll cut, but they're outta their league for the consistently big stuff if you want easy effortless cutting - and who doesn't??

what he heck

i use a 36" bar and full skip on my Stihl 038 MagII and it cuts great. I run a 24" bar and full skip bar on a Husky 460. the 2165 can run a 24" bar and full skip and cut like a mad termite, only thing i would do too the saw is open the muffler a bit.
just my beer monies worth
Cheers Mates:cheers:

Again, and ST's gonna agree with me on this one, forget about using bars longer than 18 inches on saws less than 70cc, it's crazy - if you're often digging into 18 inch plus logs you're gonna need a decent sized power head, 20inch plus bars and chains on 60cc saws are pretty much a nonsense... sure they'll cut, but they're outta their league for the consistently big stuff if you want easy effortless cutting - and who doesn't??

The 361 does really well with an 18" bar in 20" and a bit thicker birch
- it just blasts trough with slight "over-bucking", no need for any added "grunt" .
The .1Nm added low end torque of the 365 (DLG/KWF dyno tests) should hardly be notisable anyway (3.8 vs 3.7), but the weight and bulk difference sure is.....

The 372xp isn't much faster either, in that kind of wood, but there is a difference (just for fun).

Last edited:
what does a 660 cost over there

About 1750$ for the MS660W, 460W and 372xpg + bars and chains (well, a 15" setup is included with the Stihls, but not very useful on those saws) - the Logosol 660 is about 100$ cheaper, as it doesn't have the heated handles. Other than that, the Stihls aren't offered without heated handles.

Last edited:
I just abought JONSERED 2165 20":greenchainsaw: ,was wondering how many people are using 1?and what ya think of it in terms of cutting, and any dislikes.also any use a chainsaw tach for tuning? or ya do by ear?wheres a good place to order at?

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to A.S.
Which is loaded with B.S. but a lot of fun! The 2165 for a NEW purchase is usually not the best deal (hp vs lbs) but it is still a very good saw. Decent power for homeowner, still has good grunt in the low rpms. I think max rpms is at 12,500. As with most Jreds keep and eye on all the cylinder bolts, make sure they stay tight. A lot of people even use blue loctite.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to A.S.
Which is loaded with B.S. but a lot of fun! The 2165 for a NEW purchase is usually not the best deal (hp vs lbs) but it is still a very good saw. Decent power for homeowner, still has good grunt in the low rpms. I think max rpms is at 12,500. As with most Jreds keep and eye on all the cylinder bolts, make sure they stay tight. A lot of people even use blue loctite.
13000rpm max, I believe, and a pretty decent saw - but the power to weight ratio is not top-notch - that doesn't matter much in the yard, but it does in the woods.......:chainsaw:

The MS361 is a better option there, as it is much lighter and more nimble, and the max rpms are quite a bit higher, with little loss of low rpm torque, if any......

Last edited:
I have a 365 which is the same saw as the 2165, different color and front handle bar angle. I have a 20" b&c on mine and think it's perfect. Talking to people on this site and people who have ran both the 365/2165 and 372/2171 (my good friend owns and runs both a 365 and 371, 372) you can't tell the difference in power until you get in to 18 to 19" hardwood.

I've made full length bar cuts in cherry and maple with mine and it just flat out rips. It might be a tad faster with an 18" b&c but I'd lose the 2 inches of cutting capacity and it wouldn't be worth it.

My 365 is awesome. It cuts very smooth. 10 tanks of mix ran through it and the air filter still looks brand new. For what I do, I'd rather have the 365 over the 372. I don't need the added power because I don't cut to much wood over 20 inches. The 365/2165 likely uses a little less mix and cost $100 or so less then the 372/2171. Not that big of a deal, but it's there. I think the 365 and 2165 definitely have there place. They're great saws.

The .1Nm added low end torque of the 365 (DLG/KWF dyno tests) should hardly be notisable anyway (3.8 vs 3.7), but the weight and bulk difference sure is.....

That is measured at maximum rpm, I believe. :)

I am not just saying it has more power in the lower rev range, rather: because it has more power in the lower rev range (i.e. a wider power band) it won't fall out of the power band as easily. If anything; it falls into the power band.

mike649, this type of saw running towards its limit for bar length will cut through a log faster than an equivalent displacement with a narrow power band even though the latter runs faster (i.e. develops more Hp) because it won't 'bog' as easily and just keep cutting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:powerband.gif

That is measured at maximum rpm, I believe. :)

I am not just saying it has more power in the lower rev range, rather: because it has more power in the lower rev range (i.e. a wider power band) it won't fall out of the power band as easily. If anything; it falls into the power band.

Actually, the 361 has the wider power band, as it goes further up, and about as low down....;)

I have a 365 which is the same saw as the 2165, different color and front handle bar angle. I have a 20" b&c on mine and think it's perfect. Talking to people on this site and people who have ran both the 365/2165 and 372/2171 (my good friend owns and runs both a 365 and 371, 372) you can't tell the difference in power until you get in to 18 to 19" hardwood.

I've made full length bar cuts in cherry and maple with mine and it just flat out rips. It might be a tad faster with an 18" b&c but I'd lose the 2 inches of cutting capacity and it wouldn't be worth it.

My 365 is awesome. It cuts very smooth. 10 tanks of mix ran through it and the air filter still looks brand new. For what I do, I'd rather have the 365 over the 372. I don't need the added power because I don't cut to much wood over 20 inches. The 365/2165 likely uses a little less mix and cost $100 or so less then the 372/2171. Not that big of a deal, but it's there. I think the 365 and 2165 definitely have there place. They're great saws.

I am in complete agreement with this post! And it has more validity than most because it comes from someone with trigger time on both saws. NYH1's conclusion mirrors my own experience and that of several of my customers. Specs may give you numbers, but trigger time gives you a truer feeling of what a saw can do. They are very close, as most anyone who has actually run them both will attest to. Yes, the 2171/372 do have some more power. But it is very subtle, and mostly insignificant for the average guy cutting firewood.

It's kind of amusing to me how some guys dis the 2165/365 when comparing it to the 2171/372. Nearly everyone raves about the 372/2171 as one of the all time best saws ever. But the same saw with 6cc's less isn't good enough? What kind of thought process is that?

Another thing that cracks me up is that saving $100 by going with the 2165/365 is seemingly unimportant to the same guys who go to great lengths looking for deals on E-bay and buying Chinese cylinders from Baileys to save a similar sum.

All of you guys running the '65's should ignor the "You should have got the bigger one" comments and enjoy your saws. (And the $100 in your pockets.)

Latest posts

Back